Ja Morant vows to 'continue to work on myself' after gun incident

Scandalized Ja Morant vows to ‘continue to work on myself’ and admits he has ‘disappointed a lot of people’ after flashing a gun for the second time in two months – but doesn’t apologize!

  • Morant was seen on Instagram Live in the drivers seat of a car holding a pistol 
  • The star released a statement two days after he was suspended by Memphis
  • DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news

Disgraced Memphis Grizzlies star Ja Morant insisted he was ‘continuing to work’ on himself after he was filmed flashing a gun on Instagram live for a second time Sunday. 

The 23-year-old was suspended ‘from all team activities’ by the Grizzlies Sunday after he was seen brandishing a gun on Instagram for the second time in two months.

Morant was seen on Instagram Live in the drivers seat of a car holding a pistol on Sunday. 

The clip came just two months after after he was seen in a Denver strip club holding a gun on an Instagram video that sparked a police and league investigation.

Morant acknowledged that he had disappointed a lot of people, such as his teammates, fans and the league, with the latest incident and insisted he still had work to do. 

 Ja Morant appeared on an Instagram Live video on Saturday – where he was seen with a gun

The point guard’s statement, shared by Adrian Wojnarowski, read: ‘I know I’ve disappointed a lot of people who have supported me. This is a journey and I recognize there is more work to do. My words may not mean much right now, but I take full accountability for my actions. I’m committed to continuing to work on myself.’

In the latest clip, Morant was seen on Instagram Live in the drivers seat of a car holding a pistol while singing along to the song ‘1.5’ by rapper YoungBoy NBA.

After revealing the firearm, the person recording the video immediately turned the camera away from Morant for the remainder of the clip that has surfaced. 

In a statement to DailyMail.com on Sunday, the league said, ‘We are aware of the social media post involving Ja Morant and are in the process of gathering more information.’

Commissioner Adam Silver has now appeared to confirm that the NBA is investigating the incident but it is unclear whether it will result in any criminal charges or what – if any – further action the league will choose to take. 

Morant’s incident from back in March showed him dancing topless in a strip club before lifting a gun to the side of his head.

Hours after the incident, it was reported that it was being investigated by the NBA, and that Morant had been banned for ‘at least two games’ by the Grizzlies while the investigation continued.

Morant then issued a statement taking responsibility for his actions and explaining he would be taking time away from the game to work on his well-being. 

Back in March, Morant appeared to hold up a gun in an Instagram Live video at a Denver club

‘I take full responsibility for my actions last night,’ he said. ‘I’m sorry to my family, teammates, coaches, fans, partners, the city of Memphis and the entire Grizzlies organization for letting you down.

‘I’m going to take some time away to get help and work on learning better methods of dealing with stress and my overall well-being.’ 

An investigation by the Glendale, Colorado police resulted in no criminal charges and found no wrongdoing. 

However, while Morant took time away for his well-being, which included a brief stint in a Florida treatment center, he met with Silver where he was informed that he would be suspended for eight games – including the time he had already served. 

Silver revealed Tuesday that he also discussed the gravity of Morant’s actions with him and came away with the impression that the point guard understood the seriousness. 

However, after the latest incident, it appears Morant had not learnt his lesson from the sit-down with the commissioner and Silver admitted he was ‘shocked’ when the clip surfaced Sunday. 

‘Honestly, I was shocked when I saw this weekend — that video,’ he told ESPN ahead of the NBA Draft Lottery Tuesday night. 

‘Now, we’re in the process of investigating it. We’ll figure out exactly what happened the best we can. Again, the video is grainy and all that, but I’m assuming the worst.’

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver admitted he was ‘shocked’ at the latest incident 

The scandal is just the latest in a series of controversies that have followed Morant throughout the season – something he recently recognized as a distraction to the team.

After the Grizzlies were eliminated from the playoffs by the Lakers, Morant said, ‘I’ve just got to be better with my decision-making. That’s pretty much it. Off-the-court issues affected us as an organization pretty much. Just [need] more discipline.’

Morant was sued in September for allegedly punching a Tennessee teenager, Josh Holloway, in the face during a pickup game, but the NBA star claims he was acting in self defense.

Police interviews obtained by The Washington Post reveal that the 17-year-old told detectives from the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office that the point guard hit him ’12 to 13 times,’ adding that Morant’s friend struck him an additional ‘four to five times.’

Holloway claimed that as he got up to leave after the fight Morant went into his house and re-emerged with a gun. 

Morant allegedly had the weapon visible in the waistband of his pants and had his hand on the gun.

The 17-year-old plaintiff claimed he was playing pickup basketball with Morant when the two got into an argument, which quickly escalated. He admits to throwing a basketball at Morant and ‘accidentally’ hitting the 6-foot-2 guard in the face.

Morant and his friend allegedly responded by striking the 17-year-old ‘with a closed fist, knocking him to the ground’ and leaving him with a ‘large knot’ on the side of his head, according to a police report written by deputies who said they observed the boy’s injuries.

Morant has had several alleged violent incidents this season, including a fight with a teenager

That alleged incident last summer took place at Morant’s mansion outside Memphis (pictured)

Recently, Morant filed a countersuit against Holloway saying that he lied to police officers and that the youth was the aggressor in the situation. 

Morant was also involved in a separate incident at a Memphis mall last summer, after the New York Post reported that the head of security told police that Morant ‘threatened’ him during an altercation in the parking lot.

Morant’s mother reportedly got into a dispute with a employee at a shoe store at the mall and she called her son who arrived shortly after with a group of ‘as many as nine people.’

According to the police report, Morant and his friends refused to leave the parking lot when confronted by the director of mall security.

Police arrived and a ‘verbal confrontation’ reportedly escalated before someone in Morant’s entourage allegedly pushed the security chief in the head, the report added. 

‘As the group was leaving the premises … Ja Morant said, “Let me find out what time he gets off,”‘ police wrote.

Morant recognized the controversies as a distraction to the team (pictured with Memphis Grizzlies  teammate Dillon Brooks, left)

Furthermore, there was an alleged incident following the Grizzlies’ game with the Pacers on January 29, when acquaintances of Morant ‘aggressively confronted’ members of Indiana’s traveling party – and someone allegedly pointed a red laser at them.

The Athletic said that Morant was riding with friend Davonte Pack and one other person in an SUV when a red laser was pointed at the Pacers bus.

Two people who spoke to the publication anonymously said they believed the laser was attached to a gun, while an Indiana security guard nearby claimed ‘that’s 100 percent a gun.’ However, it was not confirmed if the laser was attached to a weapon. 

The league opened an investigation into the allegation but concluded that it ‘did not corroborate that any individual threatened others with a weapon,’ an NBA spokesperson said.

Source: Read Full Article