‘My son’s life cannot be put in danger. I’ve already lost one. It can’t happen again’: Chris Eubank Sr leaves Nigel Benn stunned as he claims he has pulled his son OUT of catchweight clash with Conor Benn to avoid dangerous weight cut
- Chris Eubank has claimed he has pulled his son from his fight with Conor Benn
- There are issues over the weight class, which had already been agreed on
- He said he doesn’t want to lose his son after the death of another last year
- Eubank urged Benn to continue at welterweight rather than drop down
Chris Eubank Snr has sensationally claimed that he has pulled his son, Chris Jnr, out of his upcoming fight with Conor Benn over the 157lb catchweight, insisting: ‘My son’s life cannot be put in danger… I’ve already lost one. It can’t happen again.’
Eubank Jnr and Benn Jnr are due to meet at London’s O2 Arena on October 8 in a historic battle which comes three decades after their fathers met in the second instalment of British boxing’s greatest rivalry.
Chris Jnr, 32, wanted his father in his corner for the fight but Snr told Sportsmail he will not allow his son to fight below the 160lb middleweight limit and pleaded with Benn to protect his rival.
Chris Eubank has claimed he is pulling his son out of his grudge match with Conor Benn
The two are scheduled to face off in London on October 8, but the fight is now in doubt
‘If you have a child and someone’s trying to actually take that child away from you, and do something wrong to that child, as a dad you wouldn’t let them. That’s all I’m doing,’ Eubank said.
‘I’ve given him my direction. If he doesn’t want to follow it, he will be dragged along. But he will do what is right for him… he is coming down 1oz below 160lbs which cannot happen on my watch.’
Eubank Snr, whose son Sebastian died last year at the age of 29, added: ‘This is modern day “gladiating”, this is not a play thing for the audience. We have to be strict otherwise lives are put in danger and my son’s life cannot be put in danger. I’ve already lost one. It can’t happen again.’
Eubank Snr has said he doesn’t want to lose his son after another died last year aged 29
Eubank Jr has been told that the fight is not happening if his dad has anything to do with it
Nigel Benn (left) said all he knew was that the weight for the fight was already agreed on
His comments came as a surprise to both Nigel Benn and his son Conor, who joined the Zoom call and insisted: ‘All I know was the weight was agreed.’
That prompted Eubank Snr to urge Conor to continue at welterweight rather than challenge his own son.
‘If your dad won’t protect my son, if they won’t allow me to protect my son, you protect him.’
When his old rival asked him: ‘So you’re putting your foot down, saying to your son, at 32 years old: this fight is not happening,’ Eubank responded: ‘Absolutely.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article