‘Anthony Joshua and his team are already making excuses’: Deontay Wilder vows to hold British star ‘to his word’ and fight him after Tyson Fury trilogy
- Deontay Wilder is preparing for his trilogy fight with Tyson Fury later this year
- The Bronze Bomber will face the Gypsy King on July 24 for the WBC title
- The winner of the bout is likely to be Briton Anthony Joshua’s next challenge
- Wilder claims Joshua has been creating excuses for not taking the American on
Deontay Wilder has reignited talk about getting a shot at Anthony Joshua should he beat Tyson Fury, as has accused the Watford-born boxer of ‘making excuses’ for not taking him.
The 35-year-old is preparing for his trilogy fight with the Gypsy King, who was set to take on Joshua in an all-British unification bout that would bring all five heavyweight belts together.
A court ruled last month that Fury now has to take on Wilder, but should the Bronze Bomber get revenge on the Briton for their February 2020 clash, he will look to challenge Joshua again after not getting the chance when both fighters had all five belts.
Deontay Wilder (left) claims Anthony Joshua (right) is ‘making excuses’ for not fighting him
Wilder (right) is currently focusing on getting revenge on Tyson Fury in their July trilogy fight
Wilder told Premier Boxing Champions: ‘(Joshua) said: “It’s not about the man, it’s about the person with the belt”. We are going to hold them to their word.
‘My focus is definitely on Fury, but after that fight? I’m very confident in what I am going to do.
‘I’m strongly confident in what I’m about to do. How the hell will they beat a full, healthy Deontay Wilder?
‘Once I get through Fury, once I do that? You already know what I want. But, as I’m hearing, (Joshua and his team) are already making up excuses – mandatories!
Wilder (right) has reignited talk about facing Joshua should he win the Fury challenge
‘I want them to keep that same energy because they tried to make the Fury fight.’
Fury forced a seventh round technical knockout in his Las Vegas clash with Wilder last year – which consigned the Bronze Bomber to his first ever career defeat.
The American has now had 15 months to heal up for the Fury fight, but claims he was not in the best shape around 12 months ago.
Wilder admitted he was weaker in the summer and the autumn of 2020 but now brands himself as ‘violent’ and ‘dangerous’ ahead of the trilogy fight with Fury on July 24.
Wilder (right) and Joshua both held all five belts at the same time, but have never fought
Fury and Wilder’s first fight ended in a controversial draw which then heralded the second bout last year.
With Fury occupied by Wilder, Joshua is now preparing a bout with Ukrainian fighter Oleksandr Usyk. Should both the Briton and Wilder win their summer challenges, they will be likely future opponents for 2021.
The American added: ‘My mind is very violent. Their best chance was earlier – July or October (2020). They have allowed me to heal up.
At this point in time, I’m very dangerous. The most dangerous person to be around is the one who has nothing to lose.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article