Dustin Poirier claims he is NOT seeking revenge against Conor McGregor after his brutal knockout defeat in 2014 with the American insisting their January 23 rematch ‘is just business’
- Dustin Poirier has insisted he is not seeking revenge against Conor McGregor
- The Irishman clinched a knockout victory in just under two minutes back in 2014
- The Diamond insists their blockbuster rematch in January will be ‘just business’
- Dana White revealed last week he hopes to bring UFC fans back for the fight
Dustin Poirier has insisted his highly-anticipated rematch with Conor McGregor in January is not a revenge mission after he was brutally knocked out by the Irishman six years ago.
The pair first met in the featherweight division at UFC 178 back in 2014 with McGregor clinching a sensational knockout victory in just under two minutes.
However, Poirier is a different fighter now and sits No 2 in the lightweight rankings, two spots above McGregor with a 26-6 MMA record.
Dustin Poirier has claimed he is not seeking revenge for his defeat by Conor McGregor in 2014
Poirier says it will be ‘just business’ when the pair face off in the octagon again on January 23
But Poirier has insisted he does not view the fight as his chance for revenge, with the 31-year-old claiming it is ‘just business’ when they collide on January 23.
‘I was emotional in the first one,’ Poirier said during an interview with MMA Junkie.
‘I wanted to hurt the guy. This time I just want to outsmart him, just want to beat him. This is business. This isn’t any ill will towards the guy.
‘This isn’t about getting even for me. This isn’t like a revenge type of thing for me.
‘This is about moving my career forward, about putting my family in a better spot. It’s not trying to get back a guy who got me. This is just business.’
The ‘Diamond’ has won five of his last six fights, only losing to the sublime Khabib Nurmagomedov.
McGregor, meanwhile, has fought just twice in the UFC since winning the lightweight title four years ago, also losing to Khabib before destroying Donald Cerrone this year.
Despite his lack of time in the octagon, Poirier is still expecting an almighty battle against the ‘Notorious’.
McGregor said on Wednesday he is nearing peak condition, posting some workout pictures
He added: ‘Watching footage and stuff like that, I can tell you the guy has one of the best counter-twos in the game. No doubt about it.
‘His timing, his balance, his understanding of distance when guys are being too heavy on their front foot and throwing power shots. He’s a great counter puncher. He really is. I give him credit for that.
‘I’m not underestimating this guy in any aspect of mixed martial arts. I’m expecting him to come out as a mixed martial artist, not a boxer, not a one-puncher.
‘He’s coming to fight, and so am I.’
McGregor claimed on Wednesday he is nearing peak condition. He wrote on Instagram: ‘Another @mcgregorfast training mesocycle complete!
‘Up in levels all across the board. Eight weeks to fight. Active rest activate. Onwards and upwards we go!’
UFC supremo Dana White admitted earlier this month that he wants fans to make their return to a UFC event at the McGregor-Poirier fight.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article