Eddie Hearn receives ‘most bizarre’ mystery mega-money bid from ‘a wealthy individual’ in the Far East to host mouth-watering heavyweight clash between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury
- Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury are still waiting on a 2021 fight date and venue
- The mouth-watering British contest would see all four heavyweight belts unite
- Joshua’s rep Eddie Hearn has received a bid from the Far East to host the fight
- Hearn claims the venue offer is ‘most bizarre’ from a ‘wealthy individual’
Eddie Hearn has received a mystery mega-money bid from the Far East to host the world heavyweight superfight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury.
Promoter Hearn this week revealed that the British pair have finally signed terms on a deal to fight each other this summer in a clash which will crown the first four-belt heavyweight champion in boxing history.
Now he has started work on securing the most lucrative venue for the showdown between IBF, WBA and WBO champion Joshua and Fury, who currently holds the WBC title.
Eddie Hearn has received a mystery mega-money bid from the Far East to host the Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury fight
Joshua (left) and Fury (right) have agreed terms to fight for the undisputed heavyweight crown
It appeared as though Saudi Arabia, who hosted Joshua’s rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr last year, were the frontrunners and it had been suggested that the Kingdom was ready to stump up an eye-watering £200m site fee to secure the fight.
However Hearn says there are still a number of options on the table and revealed that a new option has emerged since the announcement.
He said: ‘I had an approach yesterday (Wednesday), not from the Middle East, but it was the most bizarre approach.
‘I can’t say who it was but it was from a very wealthy individual and he wants to do something very special. We’ve had 20 approaches for this fight but you know which ones are serious.
Hearn said the venue approach from a ‘wealthy individual’ on Wednesday was ‘most bizarre’
‘But this one was just well out there. And it’s a realistic option, money is not an issue with this guy. Commercially it’s a bit strange, but it’s not about that. It’s a trophy asset to say… “this is the biggest event in the world”.
‘And that’s the mindset of an individual who wants to bring it to his own country. It’s not about selling tickets, it’s not about government investment… it would him be saying “I’d be paying for it”.
‘There’s a number for the fight, you hit the number, you get the fight and the number was not an issue for this individual.
‘Saudi have paid the site fee before, we’ve worked together before, it’s not complicated, it’s just about tying up the dates, but this offer is a bit different. All I will say is it’s in Asia. Not Macau but not far away.’
Hearn (left) claims the first fight for his client Joshua (right) must happen in June or July
Hearn is also adamant that the clash must happen in June or July amid reports that the prospective date might be pushed back to the winter to open the door for an outdoor event in Saudi Arabia.
Hearn added: ‘I see some of the comments saying the sites might prefer the fight in November or December. Of course.
‘But that is not what is on the table, that’s not what we are pitching.
‘If the question comes back “Can we do it later in the year?”. The answer is no. That’s the date.
The Matchroom promoter claimed a contest during the summer is the ‘absolute focus’
‘Otherwise the WBO belt becomes an issue again, something else happens. Fury might turn around and say he needs another fight.
‘The absolute focus is June or July. If there’s a site that says another date then you’re out.
‘Joshua speaks to Saudi and they’ve told him “we’re doing the fight”. He could not care less where this fight is, he just wants the fight. He said he’d do it in my back garden.
‘He loves Saudi, he loved the setup, that would be the preference if we were going to the Middle East. And they want to do the undisputed, that’s the message from them.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article