Tyson Fury ‘really frustrated’ following the postponement of his trilogy bout against Deontay Wilder after testing positive for coronavirus, says Frank Warren… who confirms the fight is being lined up for October
- Tyson Fury is ‘really frustrated’ by the delay to his Deontay Wilder trilogy bout
- Frank Warren has confirmed October is being lined up for the fight to take place
- It was called off after Fury and members in his camp tested positive for Covid
- Fury has not fought since his stoppage win over Wilder back in February 2020
Tyson Fury has been left ‘really frustrated’ after his trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder was postponed, reveals promoter Frank Warren, who confirms the fight is now being lined up for October.
The Gypsy King had been set to take on the American for a third time on July 24 but the date has now been pushed back, after Fury and numerous members of his team tested positive for coronavirus.
Fury last fought back in February 2020 in his emphatic stoppage victory over Wilder, and his ever-increasing spell outside the ring continued after his seemingly set-in-stone undisputed showdown against British rival Anthony Joshua was derailed by the emergence of another fight against the ‘Bronze Bomber’.
Frank Warren (left) has revealed Tyson Fury (right) is ‘really frustrated’ after his fight against Deontay Wilder was postponed
The Gypsy King and numerous members of his camp tested positive for Covid
The opportunity to fight Joshua for all the belts, which had still been in the picture for a winter showdown, now looks further in doubt, with a 2022 date more likely, if at all.
Warren has revealed it has been a frustrating period for all involved, insisting there is nothing that can be done.
‘It’s looking some time in October, which is a great shame it’s been postponed, but it is what it is,’ Warren told BT Sport.
‘Unfortunately, they in the camp and himself got tested positive for Covid. There’s nothing we can do about it.
‘It’s the times we live in, so the fight is postponed. Pushed back.
‘Very frustrating. Really frustrating for Tyson. By the time he gets into the ring, he will have been out for nearly 20 months. That’s a long, long time.’
Alongside Warren and Fury, Wilder – who still maintains the Gypsy King cheated in their bout last year – has also been left a frustrated figure as he looked to avenge his one-sided defeat, believing his opponent is at fault for the situation at hand.
The ‘Bronze Bomber’ (right) told his manager Shelly Finkel (left) he felt it was Fury’s fault
The Athletic boxing writer Lance Pugmire tweeted that the ‘Bronze Bomber’ said to his manager Shelly Finkel that he felt it was another problem caused by Fury.
‘Again now, he did wrong and I’m the one being penalised,’ Wilder told his manager Shelly Finkel.’
Wilder could still have an opponent in WBC ‘interim’ champion Dillian Whyte, however, after Eddie Hearn confirmed his fighter is ‘ready’ to fight.
‘Spoke to Dillian Whyte – he is due to fight end of August but ready to jump in July 24 v Wilder’, Hearn tweeted early on Friday morning.
Dillian Whyte has revealed he is ready to step in against Wilder with Fury on the sidelines
The ‘Body Snatcher’ emphatically stopped now-retired Alexander Povetkin back in March
Whyte has called out Wilder on a number of occasions in recent years, having spent over 1,000 days as the WBC mandatory challenger, and has since confirmed his desire to fight the now-available heavyweight.
‘This is why they have the interim champion,’ Whyte told Sky Sports.
‘When stuff like this happens and fights fall through and the champion is injured or can’t fight, or for whatever reason can’t defend the title, then the interim champion steps up.
‘Make me world champion, I’ll fight Wilder as a world champion, and the winner of that fights Tyson Fury, and the winner of that fights Anthony Joshua for the undisputed.
‘That is where everything is solved with one action.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article