Fury vs Usyk making significant progress with roadblock overcome
Tyson Fury calls out Oleksandr Usyk for blockbuster world heavyweight fight
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk have now agreed to fight each other officially according to Bob Arum, as the attention turns towards the site for the event. Fury’s US promoter confirms that mandatories will not get in the way of this fight although isn’t certain what will happen thereafter.
In the lead-up to the undisputed bout there had been concerns that sanctioning bodies would halt the contest by pushing their mandatories during crucial negotiation stages. The IBF ordered Usyk to defend his title against their No1 contender Filip Hrgovic while the WBA did the same with WBA (regular) champion Daniel Dubois.
According to the sanctioning body rotation system Dubois is next in line to face the Ukrainian, but having torn his ACL in his last bout against Kevin Lerena he is unable to take up the challenge. This has given both heavyweight champions significant time to thrash out a deal and Arum is confident that four-belts will be on the line when they square off.
“Well, the fighters have agreed to fight each other that’s done. Now the question is the site,” he told Boxing Social. “We have a couple of offers in the Middle East and we have the possibility of a huge fight at Wembley. That will be decided in the coming weeks and no matter which way it goes this will be a massive fight.
“We’ll keep the belts unified at least for this fight what happens afterwards, god knows what happens.”
The first undisputed heavyweight unification clash of the four-belt era is being targeted for a date between February 18 and March 4. According to Usyk’s promoter, Alexander Krassyuk, if the fight is not made by the latter then it will likely never happen. He also confirmed that Cardiff is in contention as a potential location.
MORE BOXING NEWS…
Temperrr to face ‘mystery opponent’ on KSI vs Danis undercard
Boxers left stranded and out of pocket in Dubai as promoter disappears
Congolese boxer killed by alleged drunk driver while training for bout
“We have a basic option to make it happen at Wembley or Cardiff or any other place in the UK,” Krassyuk told SecondsOut.
“But as long as we are working for our man, who is the best heavyweight in the world, we have to bring him the biggest benefit. So, we are now working on that, working on a site. We are in negotiations with three countries in the Middle East and we still have the basic option of Great Britain.
“So, the worst scenario, it goes to Wembley or any other big stadium (in the UK). Any other scenario is that it takes place in the Middle East. The deadline (for the fight to take place) we agree, together, is the 4th of March. In case it doesn’t happen [on] the fourth of March, it’s not likely to happen ever.”
Source: Read Full Article