Saunders 'agrees super-middleweight unification with Canelo in May'

Billy Joe Saunders ‘agrees super-middleweight unification megafight with Canelo Alvarez in May’… provided Mexican comes through unscathed against Avni Yildirim next month

  • Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and Billy Joe Saunders have reportedly agreed to fight
  • The pair would go head-to-head in a super-middleweight unification contest 
  • Alvarez is said to be ‘keen to fight on Cinco de Mayo weekend’ at the start of May
  • Contest hinges on the Mexican emerging unscathed from his upcoming fight 

Twelve months later than originally planned, Billy Joe Saunders is finally going to get his shot at Canelo Alvarez after the two fighters reportedly agreed to a super-middleweight unification bout in May. 

The Athletic report that should Alvarez come through unscathed in his fight next month against Avni Yildirim in Miami, Saunders will be the next man in his way come May.

The megafight, which is reportedly set for an arena in the United States, would take place on May 1 or May 8, coinciding with the closest weekend to Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo, which lands on a Wednesday this year. 

Billy Joe Saunders has reportedly agreed to a super-middleweight bout with Canelo Alvarez

The Mexican’s reported May fight with Saunders would represent a unification contest 

Saunders, who has an unblemished professional record of 30 wins and 0 defeats, has been vocal in pushing for a WBA, WBC & WBO unification with Alvarez and it appears he now has his wish.

He had been in the running to fight Alvarez in December but the Mexican elected for another British boxer in Callum Smith, who he beat with relative ease in a 12-round decision.  

Saunders and Alvarez were originally scheduled to meet in May 2020 but that fight was scrapped due to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Canelo has a mandatory defence in February and he needs to come through that unscathed

Saunders then rejected an offer of September 12 as he was unwilling to take a pay cut for the behind-closed-doors bout as well as being unable to train properly during lockdown. 

Agreeing a fight deal has been made easier after Canelo signed a two-fight deal with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing earlier this month. Hearn is also the promoter for Saunders.

Alvarez is one of boxing’s most impressive shows and he has been viewed as a thorn in the side of British rivals having enjoyed so much success against them over the years.

Saunders would look to buck a trend which has seen the 30-year-old Mexican beat  Matthew Hatton, Ryan Rhodes, Amir Khan, and most recently Smith. 

Eddie Hearn is currently promoting Saunders and Alvarez,  making any deal far easier to make

Speaking back inn August, tough-talking Saunders was so confident he will beat Alvarez that he offered to only be paid if he won the fight. 

‘I’ll tell you what I’ll do – the money I’ve signed for, keep it. I swear to God, I’ll let you keep it,’ he told iFL TV.

‘If he wants to come to England I’ll let him keep it and I’ll fight him for free. 

‘If I beat him, pay me what I’m contracted. If I don’t, don’t pay me. That’s how fair I can be. That’s how confident I am of beating him.’ 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article