Lucas Browne told he is TOO OLD to fight at 43 as BBBC refuse to sanction bout against Brit Daniel Dubois – while Tyson Fury has backed the Aussie boxer, saying ‘let the man fight’
- Browne was set to fight for the WBA ‘regular’ heavyweight belt against Dubois
- It was the same belt he held before it was stripped following a positive drug test
- Browne’s comeback included three losses, including one to Paul Gallen
- He recently bounced back for a knockout win and said he had been ‘f***ed over’
- Click here for all your latest international sports news at Daily Mail Australia
Aussie boxer Lucas Browne has sensationally been barred from fighting rising UK star Daniel Dubois with the sport’s governing body in Britain refusing to sanction the bout.
Browne was set for a shot at redemption against highly rated power punching young heavyweight contender Dubois, who recently secured the WBA ‘regular’ heavyweight belt against American Trevor Bryan.
The Aussie heavyweight held the same belt six years ago before a positive drugs test meant he was stripped of the title and suspended for six months.
A post shared by Lucas Browne (@lucasbigdaddybrowne)
However his chance to reclaim the belt against Dubois was scuppered by the British Boxing Board of Control [BBBC] that ruled he was too old to take part in the bout.
The decision has garnered significant online outrage, led by British professional boxer and two-time world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.
‘Let the man fight. Luis Ortiz is 55 and Bernard Hopkins was 50. 43 is only a pup,’ Fury posted to Instagram.
Since returning from suspension, Browne suffered knockout losses at the hands of Dillian Whyte, Dave Allen and Paul Gallen, leaving his career at a crossroads.
However the 43-year-old bounced back with a shock KO win over Junior Fa in June that put him back on track.
Browne roars after beating Junior Fa after three straight losses preceded the bout
Browne knocks-down Junior Fa during their heavyweight fight at Marvel Stadium on June 5
Browne announced the disappointing news on Instagram and questioned the decision.
‘So here I am, finally getting great news about possibly fighting,’ he said.
‘I’ve agreed, Daniel wants the fight. Fighting for a WBA title again.
‘Finally getting a chance to fight again for the WBA ‘regular’ title.
‘And all I hear now is that the British Boxing Board of Control won’t sanction the fight because I’m too old.
‘So regardless of the fact I started boxing at 32, was a champ at 36 with no amateur experience, have come off two great knockout wins.
‘Junior Fa, knocked out in round one. I’m currently holding an IBF and a WBA regional title and a top 15 world ranking with the WBA, but I’m apparently too old.
Fury has thrown his support behind Browne saying ‘let the man fight’ on social media
Browne became more emotional as the video went on, saying he had been ‘f***ed over again’ by the BBBC.
‘So you finally get the greatest news ever, that you can fight for a title and some board somewhere says, ‘Oh no, he’s 43, he’s too old, we’re not gonna sanction it.’ he said.
‘How sad is that? Wow. It’s not like I’ve been beat round the head my whole career, I’ve got three losses in total.
Browne swings at Paul Gallen during their bout at WIN Entertainment Centre on April 21
‘How does this work? How exactly does this work?
‘The guy from Australia gets f***ed over again.
‘That’s the problem with boxing, it’s money and politics. If you don’t have the money and politics to back it up, you get f***ed over.
‘That’s been my entire career unfortunately. My entire career I have been f***ed over by everyone in boxing.’
Source: Read Full Article