Tyson Fury breaks 40-day social media ban to respond to Anthony Joshua

Tyson Fury has been forced to break a self-imposed social media ban in order to respond to Anthony Joshua ’s claims he is “the boss” of the heavyweight division.

The two Brits are hoping to confirm a unification bout for later this year, with the winner set to become the first undisputed heavyweight champ since Lennox Lewis.

Fury has been out of the ring since beating Deontay Wilder at the start of 2020, a victory which earned him the WBC version of the belt.

IBF, WBA and WBO champion Joshua, fought Kubrat Pulev in December of last year, setting up the potential £200million super-fight.

AJ hinted that an announcement could be close and told his old rival to ‘come and find the boss’.

“[The pandemic] is getting close to things being normal. We're working on a date for around June,” Joshua told Sky News.

"So if Tyson is serious, which I think he is, he'll know where to come and find the boss!

"I'm ready. I'm really looking forward to competition – all I want to do is fight, fight, fight!"

The Gypsy King had previously explained that he was taking a brief hiatus from social media, claiming he needed a ‘cleanse’ after using the platforms for five years solid.

“I’m taking an absence from fizzy drinks and social media, they were my two give ups for lent this year,” he explained to ESPN. "I usually drink two or three cans of diet soda and look at Instagram or Twitter everyday, so I thought it would be a good challenge.”

Asked which vice was more difficult to kick, he added: “Neither to be honest. If I can get down from 400 pounds to 250, I can do anything.

“I decided to give it up because it's something I use everyday, something I always check and post stories, I’m checking my messages. It’s not something I’m addicted to, but I always check every single day.

“I don’t want to be addicted to anything, I don’t need to go on social media. I haven’t give it up for a long, long time. Since I started in 2016, I don’t think there’s been a period where I’ve had 40 days off. So I’m having a good cleanse.”

However, hours after the interview was aired, Fury was back on Twitter, responding to Joshua, telling him to come and meet for battle.

He posted to his 1.7m followers: “Anthony Joshua don’t be chicken like you did vs @BronzeBomber come out and meet me for battle. Let me show you what a Boss is. Any day of the week twice on a Sunday.”

For now, the battle remains a war of words, rather than something more physcial.

Joshua’s tease that an announcement could be imminent does differ to Fury’s stance however, with the 32-year-old claiming talks are at the same point now as they were 12 months ago.

Source: Read Full Article