Tyson Fury finally breaks silence on postponed Deontay Wilder fight

Tyson Fury has said that he will be back "better than ever" when he finally takes to the ring for a trilogy fight with Deontay Wilder on October 9.

The world heavyweight champion was supposed to fight Wilder on July 24 in his first title defence, but due to a coronavirus outbreak in his camp, he has had to pull out of the bout.

And after a few days of minimal comment, aside from being spotted meeting fans in Las Vegas and thanking supporters for nominating him for an award, Fury has finally spoken on the bout postponement.

“I wanted nothing more than to smash the ‘Big Dosser’ on July 24," Fury said in a press release.

"But I guess the beating will have to wait – make no mistake, I will be back and better than ever. We will fight on October 9, and I will knock him spark out!”

Promoter Frank Warren added: "I'm glad that we could all agree a new date quickly for Tyson to defend his title.

"Tyson is a fighting man and I know how frustrated he is that he can't compete this month. It's such a shame to lose a fight of this magnitude to COVID.

"That said, the extra time he gets to prepare is just going to ensure he's bigger and better than ever before – I've never been more certain that Tyson is going to deliver a spectacular performance and remain the No.1 heavyweight on the planet!"

The pair fought twice before, at the end of 2018 and the start of 2020, with Wilder yet to come out on top in their rivalry as they head into the third.

They drew their first bout at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, and Fury was almost stopped in the final round when Wilder put him down with a brutal right hand.

But the Gypsy King rose from the mat and finished the fight strong, leading many to believe that he had been robbed when the scorecards were read.

And when they fought again, Fury made no mistake, forcing Wilder's corner to throw in the towel in the seventh round after a gruesome beatdown that saw the American bleeding from his ear and dropped twice.

After the dominant victory for Fury, many fans felt the feud was over and talks moved towards an undisputed title fight between the Manchester native and Anthony Joshua, who holds the rest of the division's heavyweight belts.

There was even a contract signed for the pair to fight in Saudi Arabia on August 14, but after arbitration ruled Wilder was owed a third fight, that bout was nixed.

Neither Fury or Wilder have fought since their last bout, and by October 9, Joshua will have fought twice, having recently signed to face Oleksandr Usyk in London this September.

Fury vs Wilder 3 takes place at the T-Mobile Arena, the same venue as it was initially set for this month.

Source: Read Full Article