Tyson Fury given all-clear to fight Dillian Whyte if he overcomes Deontay Wilder

Tyson Fury ‘absolutely wounded’ by Anthony Joshua’s loss to Oleksandr Usyk

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Tyson Fury has been given the go-ahead to fight Dillian Whyte in an all-British clash for the world heavyweight title if the Gypsy King defeats Deontay Wilder. Fury faces the American in the third instalment of their trilogy next weekend in Las Vegas. 

British boxing fans’ worst fears were realised when Anthony Joshua was defeated by Oleksandr Usyk, with the Brit losing his WBA, WBA, IBF and IBO world titles to the Ukrainian.

Usyk – now a two-division champion – dethroned ‘AJ’ in front of 65,000 fans at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday night, as the former undisputed cruiserweight champion comfortably outclassed Joshua.

Usyk stunned the defending champion on a number of occasions, landing a number of impressing hits to win unanimously on points. 

The WBC are now likely to use the opportunity to call forward Whyte, who faces Otto Wallin on October 30, to contend for the title.

JUST IN: Oleksandr Usyk’s views on fighting Anthony Joshua in rematch after win

Fury’s US promoter Bob Arum admitted the bout with Whyte is an enticing one, and teased that the fight could take place on British shores. 

“Dillian Whyte is the number one contender, and that could be a big, big fight for Tyson,” Arum told iFL TV.

“Particularly if we held it in the UK, so that’s not out of the question. Dillian Whyte is a capable heavyweight.

“A fight against Tyson Fury or Wilder, whoever wins on October 9th, would be a very interesting fight.

DON’T MISS
Anthony Joshua triggers Usyk rematch clause as Briton seeks revenge
Mike Tyson taunts Joshua and Usyk after watching heavyweight showdown
Boxing fans share conspiracy theories after Joshua’s loss to Usyk

“I think Tyson Fury is the much better heavyweight than Anthony Joshua, but it’s heavyweight and in the heavyweight division everything is possible.”

With a Joshua-Usyk rematch likely to be announced, it could take a while before an undisputed champion can be crowned.

Whyte would therefore be a suitable candidate to face Fury, particularly after he spent over 1,000 days as the number one contender before he was finally named the mandatory challenger.

However, a shock knockout defeat to Alexander Povetkin in August 2020 ruined the 33-year-old’s hopes of earning a title shot. Whyte knocked Povetkin out in four rounds to regain his position.

If Whyte defeats Wallin next month, he will face either Fury or Wilder. 

“It’s a really interesting situation,” Whyte’s promoter Eddie Hearn said. “Anything can happen.

“In an ideal world, Tyson Fury beats Deontay Wilder, the mandatory is called for Dillian Whyte.

“Dillian Whyte beats Tyson Fury, AJ beats Usyk, and then we got Whyte against AJ for the undisputed next summer.”

Fury had been set to fight Joshua in what would have been a gargantuan all-British clash for the title of undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. 

However, Wilder won an arbitration case after it came to light that Fury was contracted to fight the American for a third time. 

Despite members of Fury’s camp suggesting the clause had expired, a court ruled in favour of Wilder to set up their clash next month.

Neither Wilder nor Fury have fought since their last bout in February 2020, when the Gypsy King defeated the Bronze Bomber via TKO in Las Vegas.

Their first fight – back in December 2018 – ended in a controversial draw despite fans and critics alike believing Fury had done enough to secure the win.

Source: Read Full Article