‘I’m in the dark… I just need a fight!’ Tyson Fury insists he is willing to fight ‘ANYBODY the promoters put in front of me’ – as it looks increasingly likely Gypsy King will face Deontay Wilder in trilogy bout instead of Anthony Joshua showdown
- Tyson Fury spoke exclusively to Sportsmail’s boxing correspondent Jeff Powell
- The Gypsy King had agreed to an August 14 showdown with Anthony Joshua
- Yet he has now been ordered to fight Deontay Wilder, again, by September
- Fury says he is willing to fight anyone having not fought since February 2020
- The Allegiant Stadium is provisionally booked for July 24 for Fury vs Wilder 3
Tyson Fury is ready and willing to fight ‘anybody the promoters put in front of me’ – including Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas less than ten weeks from now – as the Gypsy King’s mega-millions super-fight with Anthony Joshua for the undisputed world heavyweight championship looks to be receding into winter.
The Gypsy King does not discount the trilogy fight with Wilder now the American puncher from whom he plundered the WBC world title has won a legal judgement enforcing his contractual right to a third clash.
That makes their second rematch the most likely outcome of the latest chaos – with the new Allegiant Stadium in Vegas booked for July 24 – unless Fury’s promoters Bob Arum and Frank Warren can offer Wilder a fortune too huge for him to refuse to step aside.
Tyson Fury insists he will fight ‘anybody put in front of him’ as his next opponent looks unclear
Fury had agreed an August 14 date with Anthony Joshua (L) in a Saudi Arabia mega-fight
As the August 14 date for Fury v Joshua in Saudi Arabia was plunged deeper into doubt by the mediation verdict from retired US judge Daniel Weinstein, Fury took time out from working out in Miami to say: ‘I’m in the dark about all this. All I know is that I need a fight after being out for long.
‘Can I be ready for July? I would fight next week if we could find an opponent and get something on.’
Fury said previously he would not box Wilder again after being ‘disrespected’ by the Bronze Bomber’s claims that he had been ‘cheated’ by his seventh-round knock-out.
‘I’ve not had a fight since stopping that big dosser,’ Fury added.
‘I’ve been training for weeks in Vegas. I sparred 30 rounds without a break – “Gypsy Rules” – while in Dallas supporting my bro’ Billy Joe (Saunders) against Canelo (Alvarez). I’ve carried on training in Miami and I’m heading back to Vegas shortly. Keeping going.
‘This boxing business keeps blowing in the wind. All I can say is that I’m fit and ready to fight anyone right now. But for me this has been going on too long.’
It now looks increasingly likely that Fury will face Deontay Wilder again, on July 24 in Las Vegas
Promoter Frank Warren has admitted they will have to pay Wilder off to get him to step aside
Fury has been out of the ring for one year and three months since his sensational stoppage of Wilder and the prevailing mood in Vegas is that he will get him out of the way thrice and for all in July and move on to Joshua thereafter.
Eddie Hearn, Joshua’s promoter who has given team Fury ‘no more than a week to sort Wilder out,’ has opened negotiations for AJ to fulfil a mandatory defence of his WBO belt against Oleksandr Usyk as his summer alternative.
All that would push Joshua-Fury back to late October – and throw a projected rematch between the two into deeper jeopardy.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article