Tyson Fury compares himself to Muhammad Ali in 2015
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Tyson Fury’s co-promoter has dismissed suggestions that ‘The Gypsy King’ is set to retire and has named two potential opponents for his next fight. Fury, 33, won his thrilling trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas this month, fuelling suggestions he will opt to end his career at the top.
However, speaking to Blue Blood Sports TV, Bob Arum dismissed that notion, claiming “I’ve never heard that” when asked about rumours his client was done with the sport.
“I talk to Tyson all the time he’s assured me hes’ not going to step away from boxing. He wants to fight and I would say it’ll be March next.”
Dillian Whyte’s plans to set-up an all-British bout with Fury were dealt a blow this month when a shoulder injury forced him to postpone his fight with Otto Wallin, originally scheduled for October 30.
However, while Arum, 89, was open to the idea of Fury fighting the ‘The Body Snatcher’, he said Whyte couldn’t declare himself the mandatory challenger until he got past Wallin.
JUST IN: Eddie Hearn gives update on whether Anthony Joshua has split from coach Rob McCracken
“Dillian Whyte is not the mandatory, he has an obligation to fight this Wallin,” he continued. “But in March I’d like Tyson Fury to fight in the UK and I think the opponents could be Whyte or maybe this big English guy, Joe Joyce.
When asked if securing a licence to fight in Britain would be a problem for Fury, the Top Rank boss seemed unconcerned.
“Licence? I don’t know. I don’t think there would by any problem having the fight here (in the UK),” he said.
While Whyte, 33, has long touted a battle with the Manchester man, it will be a boost to Joyce to hear his name in the potential mix. The 2016 Olympic silver medalist has won all 13 of his professional bouts so far, and is promoted by Frank Warren, who works alongside Arum with Fury.
Microwave signed by Chris Eubank Jr reaches £66,000 on eBay – ‘That escalated quickly’
Dillian Whyte vs Otto Wallin called off as Body Snatcher suffers injury in training
Anthony Joshua trialing Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield’s old trainer in corner shake-up
His last win saw him stop French fighter Carlos Takam in London in July, to retain his Commonwealth, WBC Silver and WBO International heavyweight titles.
Fury’s hopes for a long-awaited unification bout with Anthony Joshua were scuppered this year, firstly when a court ruling ordered that he had to complete his trilogy with Wilder before negotiating with ‘AJ’.
Joshua’s subsequent loss to Oleksandr Usyk was a further blow, and now the British fighter has triggered a rematch clause in a bid to win back his WBA, IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight belts.
That bout is expected to take place on the spring of 2022.
However, Arum was pleased with how things works out, saying the only heavyweight clash that compared to Fury’s latest win was the infamous Mohammad Ali v Joe Frazier ‘Thriller in Manilla’ in 1975.
“That fight was hell, Frazier was winning and looked like he was going to knock him out, then Ali came back.
“That was a great fight, the difference between that and the Wilder v Fury fight is that one had five knock downs. I’m really up in the air as to what was a better heavyweight championship fight.”
Source: Read Full Article