Collingwood has dodged a COVID scare after a women’s player self-reported she had visited hotspot at Melbourne Airport on Tuesday, February 9.
The Magpies AFLW player has been COVID tested and returned a negative result, but is still serving out 14 days of home quarantine.
A Pies spokeswoman said the player, who is understood to not have played any AFLW games so far this season, had not had contact with anyone at the club since Monday, February 8 and she immediately informed the Department of Health as required by current Victorian Government guidelines.
Watch every match of the 2021 NAB AFLW Competition LIVE on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >
“As a part of routine testing, all Collingwood players and staff were tested on Friday, February 12 and each returned a negative result,” the spokeswoman said.
“The health and safety of the player and everyone involved in the football club, along with the wider community, remains the priority and both the player and broader club will continue to be led by the Government and public health officials.”
Collingwood would not name the player who is expected to return to training on February 24.
The self-isolation is a precaution for anyone who has visited an exposure site in Victoria.
The AFL has had to fixture its AFLW season on the run this year because of a number of COVID lockdowns across the country.
Games were played in Melbourne across the weekend without any crowds.
The league has once again fixtured Victorian clubs to play against each other in this weekend’s Round 4 matches.
The preference is adopt a fly-in/fly-out model to finish the nine rounds of the home-and-away competition and keep the prospect of hubs as a last resort.
Non-Victorian AFLW teams will fly across the country this weekend in the remaining matches.
Dockers coach Trent Cooper was surprised his side wasn’t stuck in a hub. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images
Fremantle coach Trent Cooper said his side arrived in Adelaide last Friday prepared to play three games on the road, most likely hubbed in Queensland and was shocked they weren’t.
“I have to get my head around it, we were more than happy to play our block away here, and we’d planned for that … I trust the AFL will be doing the right thing and thinking further ahead to make sure we’re getting the season away,” he said.
“The (players will) just roll with the punches; that’s what we saw in the men’s comp, that those sides who took on the challenges the best, were the ones who performed the best and we want to make sure we don’t have anything outside of our control influence the way we play.”
But Crows coach Matthew Clarke said hubs did not suit part-time footballers with other work commitments.
“In a semi-professional environment with players who have jobs and other employers that they need to look after, so as much as possible we can fly-in/fly-out will be to the betterment,” he said.
Originally published asPies player self-reports visit to COVID hotspot
Source: Read Full Article