Damar Hamlin released from hospital one week after cardiac arrest

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Damar Hamlin has been released from hospital less than a week after suffering a cardiac arrest on the field during a game for the Buffalo Bills. The 24-year-old is returning to Buffalo after leaving the University of Cincinnati Hospital.

Hamlin collapsed on the field during the middle of last Monday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals. The safety took a hit from Tee Higgins and, despite getting up initially, collapsed to the turf.

He was given CPR and medics used a defibrillator to restart his heart. Hamlin was left in a critical condition in intensive care at the University of Cincinnati Hospital, with tributes pouring in from the sporting world and beyond.

Now, however, he is on his way home. It was confirmed on Monday afternoon that Hamlin had received the all-clear to be discharged from hospital and return to Buffalo. Dr William Knight said: “I can confirm he is doing well and this is the beginning of the next stage of his recovery.”

Posting after the news broke, Hamlin expressed his gratitude to the medical staff at the University of Cincinnati Hospital. He wrote: “Grateful for the awesome care I received at UCMC. Happy to be back in Buffalo. The docs and nurses at Buffalo General have already made me feel at home!”

The Bills played on Sunday for the first time since Hamlin’s cardiac arrest, and fittingly returned the opening kick-off for a touchdown sparking an emotional celebration. Hamlin was watching from his hospital bed, and Dr Timothy Pritts joked his celebration triggered alarms in the ICU.

He said: “We’ve been given permission by his family to confirm he did watch the game on Sunday. He was beyond excited and feels very supported by the outpouring of love from across the league, especially from the Buffalo area.

“When the opening kick-off was returned he jumped up and down, got up out of his chair, set I think every alarm off in the ICU in the process. He was fine, just a very appropriate response to a very exciting play. He very much enjoyed it and enjoys the support from everyone.”

Source: Read Full Article