Romain Grosjean has revealed the full extent of the hand injuries he sustained during his horrifying high-speed crash at the Bahrain Grand Prix – and the pictures he’s shared are not for the faint-hearted.
There were fears for Grosjean’s life as the chassis of his Haas split in two and burst into flames after smashing into the wall on the exit of turn three back in November but the Frenchman somehow managed to escape with relatively minor burns to his hands and ankles.
However, Grosjean’s injuries meant he had to miss the final two races of the Formula 1 calendar and the 34-year-old has been posting social media updates of the progress he has made with his recovery over the last few weeks.
Grosjean was able to take off the surgical dressing from his less-injured right hand last month and the veteran driver was finally given the green light to remove the bandages from his ‘not yet pretty’ left hand on Tuesday.
‘My hands are back and Petrus (his pet cat) isn’t too unhappy about it!’ Grosjean told his followers on Instagram.
‘It’s not yet pretty so please don’t swipe right if you don’t feel like it.’
At the weekend, Grosjean shared a positive update with his followers as he prepared for a meeting with his surgeon, who was obviously satisfied with the strides he had made with his rehabilitation.
‘Full day with no dressing. Bloody hell it feels good,’ he tweeted.
‘So easy to forget how good our bodies are when working well!
‘Back into dressing for the night before meeting my surgeon tomorrow to check the progress.’
Speaking from his hospital bed not long after the incident, Grosjean credited the halo protection device in his car with saving his life.
‘Hello everyone, just wanted to say I am okay… well sort of okay!’ he said at the time. ‘Thank you very much for all the messages.
‘I wasn’t for the halo some years ago, but I think it’s the greatest thing that we’ve brought to Formula 1, and without it I wouldn’t be able to speak with you today.
‘So thanks to all the medical staff at the circuit and at the hospital.
‘Hopefully I can write to you quite soon some messages and tell you how it’s going.’
The FIA confirmed at the start of December that the details of their investigation into Grosjean’s crash would be announced in due course.
‘As with all serious accidents, we will analyse every aspect of this crash and collaborate with all parties involved,’ race director Michael Masi said.
Safety director Adam Baker added: ‘With so much data available in Formula 1, it allows us to accurately determine every element of what occurred and this work has already begun.
‘We take this research very seriously and will follow a rigorous process to find out exactly what happened before proposing potential improvements.’
Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Source: Read Full Article