Lewis Hamilton could be handed a fine if he decided to not attend the FIA’s gala in Paris as the row over the outcome of the Drivers’ Championship continues.
The Brit was denied a record-breaking eighth title on Sunday after Max Verstappen pipped him to the post in the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Hamilton led proceedings for almost the entire race before a late safety car allowed Verstappen to close the gap.
Race director Michael Masi then controversially made the decision to restart the race with just one lap remaining, with the Red Bull driver given permission to bypass the lapped cars.
JOIN THE DEBATE! Should Mercedes continue to appeal the result of the Abu Dhabi GP? Let us know in the comments
Verstappen then proceeded to overtake Hamilton, winning his first title in dramatic circumstances.
Mercedes have launched two separate protests,, both of which failed, but suggested they intended on making a final appeal.
The right to appeal will expire on Thursday evening, with the latest reports claiming they will now cease their protests.
According to the Daily Mail, Hamilton has specifically requested that the Silver Arrows stand down in order to avoid a long and drawn-out battle.
It now remains to be seen whether the newly knighted driver will attend the bash in Paris, as per the sport’s governing guidelines.
Article 6.6 says: "The drivers finishing first, second and third in the Championship must be present at the annual FIA Prize Giving ceremony.”
Hamilton was gracious in his post-race media commitments despite claiming the outcome of the race had been “manipulated” whilst talking to his team on the car radio.
He told Sky Sports: "Congratulations to Max and his team. I think we did an amazing job this year.
“Everyone back at the factory and here worked so hard in this most difficult of seasons."
The FIA have now addressed the controversy in a lengthy statement which reads: "The 2021 FIA Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix has prompted a large number of reactions from the F1 community and from motor sport in general, as well as in the public.
"The FIA's primary responsibility at every event is to ensure the safety of everyone involved and the integrity of the sport.
"The circumstances surrounding the use of the Safety Car following the incident of driver Nicholas Latifi, and the related communications between the FIA Race Direction team and the Formula One teams, have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula One teams, driver and fans.
"An argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship and the due celebration of first Drivers' World Championship title won by Max Verstappen and the eighth consecutive Constructors' World Championship title won by Mercedes."
Source: Read Full Article