Masi lands his first job since Formula One exit with V8 Supercars

Michael Masi lands his first job since his ignominious Formula One exit as former race director returns to V8 Supercars – and is hailed as ‘an independent, strong and robust leader’ despite his role in last year’s Abu Dhabi farce

  • Michael Masi has landed his first job in motorsport since leaving Formula One 
  • The Australian, 44, left F1 last month after being stood down as race director 
  • Masi has now been named as the Commissioner for V8 Supercars
  • He was labelled a ‘strong and robust leader’ despite the Abu Dhabi farce 

Michael Masi has landed a new job following his Formula One exit with the Australian named the new chairman of the V8 Supercars Commission. 

Masi, F1’s former race director, returned to Australia earlier this year following his role in the controversial finish to last year’s decider in Abu Dhabi, where Max Verstappen snatched the title from Lewis Hamilton.

Reports last month suggested the 44-year-old was in the frame to replace Neil Crompton as chair of the Supercars Commission, who ended his decade-long tenure in the role this month. 

Michael Masi has taken his first job since leaving the FIA with V8 Supercars

And now the racing tour has confirmed that Masi will takeover from Crompton, and will be responsible for overseeing the sporting and technical rules in the Australian series.

‘I view this role as continuing the amazing work already done by Neil and the Commission to lead Supercars into a brand new era with the introduction of the Gen3 Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang,’ Masi said in a statement.

‘I’m very proud to have been appointed to this role and look forward to working with the key stakeholders in the sport to ensure the future is an exciting one for our teams, partners, sponsors and most importantly the fans.’

Supercars CEO Shane Howard hailed Masi’s appointment, describing the 44-year-old as an ‘independent, strong and robust leader’.

Masi was at the heart of Max Verstappen’s controversial world championship win in Abu Dhabi

‘I am delighted the Commission has appointed Michael to this important position for the sport,’ he said. 

‘The role of Commission chair needs to be an independent, strong and robust leader. They need to effectively manage the Commission and its process, broker compromise where required and be a good communicator.

‘Michael has worked closely and industriously with Supercars team owners, principals and stakeholders for many years and returns to Australia with vast experience and leadership which will be invaluable in guiding our sport into the future.

‘I have met very few people with such an extensive understanding of the industry combined with an amazing passion. Michael will be a great successor to Neil who did such an outstanding job.

‘We welcome Michael back to the pinnacle of racing here in Australia and look forward to working closely with him in his role as chair of the Commission.’

Supercars CEO Shane Howard labelled Masi a ‘strong and robust leader’ despite the farce

Masi’s first round in his new role will be at the Auckland SuperSprint on the weekend of September 10-11. 

He copped huge criticism for his in-race decisions which played a huge factor in Verstappen passing Hamilton on the final lap to win the world championship. 

Masi called in the safety car in the final knockings, then controversially allowed the backmarkers separating Hamilton and Verstappen to unlap themselves, resulting in a one-lap shootout. 

After an investigation, the FIA deemed that Masi had made a ‘human error’ but acted in good faith. He was replaced by Eduardo Freitas and Niells Wittich for the 2022 season and chose to relocate to Australia to be closer to his family. 

Masi broke his silence last month, revealing he had received death threats and ‘vile’ abuse over the Abu Dhabi finish. 

He was deputy race director at Supercars before moving to the FIA.  




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article