NRL star Paul Vaughan was allegedly involved in a sexting scandal two years ago, it has been reported after St George sacked the front-rower for breaking Covid-19 protocols.
The Dragons tore up Vaughan’s $800,000-a-year contract after he hosted a party at his house with 12 other teammates on the weekend, breaking NSW’s strict stay-at-home orders.
A total of $305,000 worth of fines was handed out to the players involved. The remaining 12 copped one-match bans that will be spread out across three weeks to allow the Dragons to continue to field a team.
Vaughan was sacked for his third strike at the club. Last year he breached the NRL’s bio-secure bubble by going to a cafe, and it emerged on Tuesday he had reportedly been officially warned for his alleged involvement in a sexting incident in late 2018.
“They are not something we can talk about in detail in public,” Dragons CEO Ryan Webb said of Vaughan’s first breach, as reported by the Sydney Morning Herald.
Vaughan’s career is now in limbo after his latest indiscretion convinced the Dragons to rip up his contract, with 15 months still remaining on his deal.
“The St George Illawarra Dragons have handed down additional club-imposed sanctions to the 13 players who breached NRL biosecurity protocols and state government public health orders on Saturday night,” the club said in a statement on Tuesday.
“The remainder of Paul Vaughan’s playing contract has been terminated, effective immediately, as a result of now a number of breaches that include and predate the current matter.
“The remaining 12 players will be issued with individual breach notices containing a confidential monetary fine that will be forwarded to selected local charities as well as compulsory extra-curricular club service.”
Vaughan’s career is in limbo.Source:Getty Images
Vaughan broke his silence over the scandal on Tuesday night and seemed resigned to his fate as Dragons powerbrokers met to decide what action needed to be taken.
“I understand there was things in place they had to look at today in the investigation,” Vaughan said on NRL 360.
“I did understand that was going to go forward, I just had to sort of wait and hear the outcome of what was going to happen.
“It was a very, very bad judgment call on my behalf and it was obviously very stupid and I’m deeply, deeply remorseful and sorry for what’s happened. I can’t express that enough.
“Like I said, it was a terrible judgment call and one that I very much regret.
“Obviously not the right thing to do, in hindsight it was a very stupid thing to do.”
Wild details of the house party emerged earlier this week, with Jack de Belin allegedly hiding under a bed to evade police. He then allegedly lied to the club about what he was doing at Vaughan’s house, before being made to come clean.
Source: Read Full Article