Jack de Belin’s accuser sent ‘help’ Snapchat to friend: court

The woman who has accused Jack de Belin of sexual assault sent a friend a plea for “help” on the night of the alleged assault, a jury has heard.

The man told the Wollongong District Court that he found the one-word Snapchat message on his phone on the afternoon of December 9, 2018 after losing his phone during a pub crawl the previous evening.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has accused the NRL star, 29, and Callan Sinclair, 23, of raping her at a North Wollongong unit, leaving her with bruising to her neck and chest and mental scars.

The pair are standing trial and have pleaded not guilty to five counts of aggravated sexual assault, arguing that the women consented to intercourse.

NRL star Jack de Belin has pleaded not guilty to five counts of aggravated sexual assault. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Simon BullardSource:News Corp Australia

The woman’s friend told the court that after drinking heavily at a Christmas party on the evening of December 7, he continued to consume alcohol at home and did not go to bed before attending the North Wollongong Hotel as part of the Santa Pub Crawl the next day.

He woke up later that evening at a bus shelter outside the Collegians Rugby League club before taking a bus ride back to Dapto, only to discover the next morning that he had lost his phone.

He messaged the woman, who he described as a friend, via Facebook on his computer and asked her to call the North Wollongong Hotel in an attempt to track down his lost phone.

When he attended the pub with a friend, the bar staff handed over the phone and a short while later he discovered a message from the same woman.

“It just said ‘help’,” the woman’s friend told the jury.

The message disappeared after it was opened however he said it was a nondescript picture accompanied by the simple caption.

Callan Sinclair arrives at the trial on Wednesday. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Simon BullardSource:News Corp Australia

“It was nothing in particular, it would have been a black screen or a floor or something, I can’t remember exactly,” the woman’s friend said.

He said that later that afternoon the woman also sent him another message while she was at the police station reporting the alleged sexual assault.

When he asked what had happened, she replied: “I got raped.”

The trial before Judge Andrew Haesler continues.

Source: Read Full Article