Queensland Premier hopes State of Origin isn’t played in 2020

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has ruled out Brisbane hosting a State of Origin game during the coronavirus pandemic, saying she hopes the interstate series is scrapped this year.

Palaszczuk refused to support a mooted plan to send Queensland clubs to Sydney in order for the NRL to restart on May 28, saying she is "really concerned" about the health risk to players.

NSW coach Brad Fittler congratulates his halfback Mitchell Pearce after the Blues’ series win last year.Credit:AAP

The NRL is yet to unveil what the rest of the 2020 season looks like after announcing its planned resumption date, with the league set to enter negotiations with broadcasters on Tuesday to discuss a modified competition.

It has confirmed this year's Origin series will remain in a standard three-game format but is yet to confirm dates.

The 2020 Origin series was due to kick off in Adelaide on June 3 but that has been scrapped due to COVID-19, reverting the interstate clashes back to Sydney and Brisbane. Brisbane was initially scheduled to host game three on July 8.

But Sydney may be the sole host after the Queensland premier reiterated her government would not be relaxing quarantine laws, scuttling plans for an Origin game to be played in Brisbane during the shutdown.

Queensland has enacted strict movement restrictions during the coronavirus threat in which there is a mandatory 14-day isolation period for anyone allowed entry.

"If NSW has different health advice to me, go for it. But we have very strict health advice here and I'll be listening to my health experts," she said.

Palaszczuk is not a fan of a proposal to send Queensland clubs Gold Coast, Brisbane and North Queensland to Sydney in order to avoid quarantine laws and ensure the NRL's resumption.

"I'm really concerned about my Queensland players going down to Sydney," she said. "All you need is one community transmission down in Sydney and the whole team could possibly have it.

"It would have to be very strict quarantine. I'd have to get health advice from my chief health officer. We're either going to listen to the health advice or we're not – I'm not making any apologies for that."

AAP

Source: Read Full Article