Ajax winger Antony 'is no longer an option for Man United'
Manchester United face yet another transfer blow with Ajax winger Antony ‘no longer an option for Erik ten Hag’s side’ as the Brazilian would ‘now think twice before deciding to move to Old Trafford’ after their poor start
- Man United have been linked with Antony throughout the summer window
- Erik ten Hag is a massive fan of the player following their time together at Ajax
- The Red Devils though struggled to meet the Dutch side’s valuation of the player
- Antony himself said he ‘felt good’ at Ajax following their win at the weekend
- Dutch media have now reported that Antony is ‘no longer an option’ for United
Ajax forward Antony is ‘no longer an option for Manchester United’ this summer, according to Dutch media outlet De Telegraaf.
The Brazilian has been linked with a move to Old Trafford throughout the transfer window, with Erik ten Hag a massive fan of the player following their time together at the Dutch giants.
But in the latest blow to what has been a woeful transfer window for the Red Devils, it now looks like their pursuit of the talented 22-year-old winger could be over.
Ajax star Antony looks likely to stay at the club despite interest from Manchester United
Erik ten Hag was keen to sign Antony who he knew from their time together at Ajax
The report from a De Telegraaf journalist states: ‘I believe that Antony is no longer an option for Manchester United and that Antony himself would think twice before deciding to join the club now.
‘Especially when you see with how much joy he plays at Ajax. The Manchester United/Antony story seems over.’
Antony was in fine form as Ajax beat Groningen 6-1 at the weekend. He scored Ajax’s second of the match with a trademark left-footed strike from the right flank, minutes after gliding past three Groningen defenders with sublime skill in the penalty box.
Despite Ten Hag’s interest in the player, Manchester United fell short of Ajax’s reported £67m valuation, and it seems Antony is more than happy to stay put and continue thriving with the Eredivisie giants.
Ten Hag has struggled to bring in the signings he would like during the summer transfer window
Speaking to Dutch outlet NOS, the Brazilian international admitted that he was ‘fully focused’ on Ajax, a mentality he more than displayed on Sunday.
‘Will Ten Hag call me? No idea,’ Antony said.
‘He has to discuss this with my agents, I’m focused on here. What will come will come, we’ll see.
‘I feel good at Ajax. I give everything for this club, every minute. So I am loving this city and this club.’
While Antony’s campaign has got off to a bang, Manchester United sit bottom of the table for the first time in 30 years following defeats to Brighton, and the 4-0 humiliation by Brentford.
United have also failed in pursuits for other players including Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong
Antony wouldn’t be the first player United have missed out on, having failed to lure Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong and Red Bull Leipzig striker Benjamin Sesko to Old Trafford.
It was previously reported that Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Maguire, Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw and Bruno Fernandes have made it clear to the club that further signings are needed before the transfer window closes on September 1.
To date, United have only brought in Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen, and Antony’s former Ajax team-mate Lisandro Martinez through the doors this summer.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article