Arsenal and Man City both fined by The FA for surrounding officials

Arsenal and Manchester City are both fined by The FA after their players surrounded the officials during their top-of-the-table Premier League clash earlier this month… with the Gunners fined £65,000 and the Citizens having to stump up £75,000

  • The FA has fined both Arsenal and Man City after players surrounded officials
  • An independent body ruled the financial punishment after their league clash
  • Man City won the top-of-the-table meeting 3-1 at the Emirates last week 

The FA has fined both Arsenal and Manchester City after their players surrounded officials during their Premier League game earlier this month.

An independent Regulatory Commission has issued the financial punishment for the actions of stars during Man City’s 3-1 win at the Emirates on Wednesday 15 February.

The FA announced that the Gunners face a fine of £65,000 for the actions of their players, while Man City will have to stump up £75,000 for two different incidents in the match. 

Arsenal’s sanction includes an additional £20,000 fine issued as a result of a suspended punishment after the club were penalised for failing to control their players during an FA Cup match against Oxford United at the beginning of the year.

Man City admitted that it failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the 42nd minute and in the 64th minute.

Manchester City have been fined £75,000 for failing to control their players on two occasions

Arsenal’s £65,000 punishment for surrounding the referee included a suspended sanction

Kevin de Bruyne had put the Citizens ahead halfway through the first half, before an incident in the 42nd minute. 

Several City players protested after referee Anthony Taylor awarded Arsenal a penalty for a foul by goalkeeper Ederson on Eddie Nketiah. Bukayo Saka equalised from the spot.

In the 64th minute, City’s players then called for Nketiah to be booked by surrounding Taylor.  

Jack Grealish and Erling Haaland scored in the 72nd and 82nd minute respectively, to secure a 3-1 win for the visitors last Wednesday.

In between Man City’s misdemeanours, Arsenal admitted that it failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly way during the 56th minute of proceedings. 

In that incident, Gunners defender Gabriel was ruled to have fouled Haaland, resulting in another penalty, which was overturned by VAR due to an offside in the build-up. 

Arsenal’s incident circled around a penalty call against Gabriel for a foul on Erling Haaland

Arsenal’s breach of the rules followed a previous punishment after their players were ruled to be out of control against Oxford United in the FA Cup, just six days after a similar incident during the Premier League draw against Newcastle United.  

Manchester City’s win moved Pep Guardiola’s side top of the Premier League table after the clash, but Arsenal have since reclaimed their perch at the top after a win last weekend, coupled with Man City’s dropped points at Nottingham Forest. 

Arsenal travel to Leicester City at 3pm on Saturday, two and a half hours before Man City’s next match away to Bournemouth. Mikel Arteta’s side currently sit two points clear at the top of the table, with a game in hand over Guardiola’s side. 

The two sides are set to meet again in the Premier League at the Etihad on April 26. 

Source: Read Full Article