‘It is absurd that there is still a debate as to whether or not to start playing’: Brescia owner Massimo Cellino reveals he and his daughter have tested positive for coronavirus whilst he hits out at Serie A for a second time for plans to finish the season
- Brescia owner Massimo Cellino has once again hit out at Serie A chiefs
- Cellino also revealed he and his daughter have tested positive for Covid-19
- Former Leeds chief is against plans for league to return to action next months
- Learn more about how to help people impacted by COVID
Brescia owner Massimo Cellino revealed he and his daughter have tested positive for coronavirus as he once again hit out at Serie A for their plans to complete the season.
The controversial former Leeds United chief says he contracted the deadly virus while travelling round Italy, despite a strict lockdown being in place across the country for over a month.
Those in charge of Italy’s elite league are believed to be drawing up tentative plans to return to action behind closed doors next month, but the 63-year-old said it is unthinkable to be talking about playing football again and previously said he would refuse to allow Brescia players to play if plans go ahead too soon.
Massimo Cellino has hit out at Serie A whilst revealing he has tested positive for coronavirus
‘I’ve been in Cagliari for a few days, after completing three weeks of quarantine in Brescia, Cellino told La Repubblica.
‘Then I spent Easter in Sardinia with my family, I took a private plane and I returned. After two weeks of quarantine in Cagliari I went to the hospital for checks.
‘It turned out that my daughter had the virus, my son didn’t have it. And that I have it. I have excessive tiredness and severe pain in my bones. It is bad for the liver.’
Cellino is an outspoken character and has not held back in his comments regarding the ongoing Covid-19 crisis, saying there should be no prospect of returning football at this stage.
‘But for football, it is absurd that there is still a debate as to whether or not to start playing,’ Cellino added.
The Italian top-flight bosses are believed to be drawing up plans to return to action next month
Brescia currently sit bottom of the Italian top flight and if the season is ended now they would be relegated, but Cellino previously insisted he would go into Serie B with his ‘head held high’ if the season is finished in its current position.
The club are based in a Northern region of Lombardy, which has been one of the worst affected areas of the deadly disease during the pandemic.
And their man in charge feels more needs to be done by those in charge of the league to help clubs who may be forced into financial turmoil due to lost TV rights and prize money.
The resumption would see the remaining league fixtures completed behind closed doors
‘There is not the slightest sensitivity and there is not the slightest respect in asking me to start the championship in Lombardy again.
‘In Serie A there is about £155million destined for the top ten of the final table. And these prizes have already been invoiced by these clubs.
‘Now, if you don’t finish the championship and Sky won’t pay, what happens to those who have already spent that money?’
Italy was the earliest-affected country in Europe to be hit hard by the devastating disease but the number of deaths is gradually declining, reaching a month-low daily total of 482 on Saturday.
Cellino owns Serie A bottom club Brescia and previously said he would agree to be relegated
Source: Read Full Article