Cardiff City vs Fulham: Latest score and updates from the first leg of the Championship play-off semi-final tie
- Cardiff City starting XI: Smithies, Bacuna, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett, Pack, Ralls, Mendez-Laing, Tomlin, Hoilett, Glatzel
- Cardiff subs: Etheridge, Sanderson, Flint, Vaulks, Murphy, Paterson, Bamba, Ward, Smith
- Fulham starting XI: Rodak, Christie, Hector, Ream, Bryan, Cairney, Reed, Knockaert, Onomah, Kebano, Reid
- Fulham subs: Bettinelli, Odoi, Mawson, McDonald, Johansen, Le Marchand, Sessegnon, Kamara, Jasper
- Fulham and Cardiff City hoping to secure instant Premier League returns
- Both dropped out of the top flight following relegation in the 2018-19 season
- The Cottagers missed out on automatic promotion by just two points
- Championship play-off semi-final at the Cardiff City Stadium kicks off at 7.45pm
After narrowly missing out on automatic promotion to the Premier League, Fulham will hope to return to the top flight through the Championship play-offs as they travel to Cardiff City in the first leg of their semi-final.
Following relegation a year ago, Scott Parker’s side missed out on an instant return to the top flight by just two points as they now look to gain a first leg advantage over Cardiff.
The Bluebirds’ run of three straight wins to round off the season ensured they saw off many challengers to reach the play-offs, and like the Cottagers are hoping to bounce back to the Premier League after dropping out last year.
Follow all our latest scores and updates as well as the build up which includes the team news ahead of the 7.45pm BST kick-off at the Cardiff City Stadium.
It is Fulham who will be less pleased at having to take the route through the play-offs to reach the Premier League once again.
They were just two points off reaching the top flight automatically, with Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion gaining the fast track to the Premier League instead.
They are in good form though, finishing unbeaten in their last seven games – albeit drawing two of their previous three.
Despite finishing eight points clear of Cardiff, they will have to be wary of the Bluebirds who only sneaked into the play-offs after winning their last three games.
Swansea 1-0 Brentford: Andre Ayew scores after missing a penalty as Rico Henry is sent off in first leg of Championship play-off semi-final
Sneaking a little under the radar yesterday among the final day fallout of the Premier League was the other first leg semi-final between Swansea and Brentford. Just the one goal at the Liberty Stadium, so all to play for heading into the second leg on Wednesday.
It’s a relatively mild one too at around 18 degrees Celsius. Scott Parker and his Fulham side appear to have made the journey trouble free from west London.
You could not be more mistaken. In case you did not get the memo, it’s the Championship that provides all the drama these days.
In fact so good is the entertainment offered by England’s second tier, every year we get an encore in the form of the play-offs.
So good evening all and welcome to our live coverage of the first leg of the semi-final between Cardiff City and Fulham. I’m rather looking forward to this, team news coming right up..
Source: Read Full Article