Crystal Palace ‘make Nuno Espirito Santo their No 1 target’ to replace Roy Hodgson with departed Wolves boss set to be offered immediate return
- Nuno Espirito Santo left Wolves earlier this month after rift with club’s owners
- Roy Hodgson announced his departure from Crystal Palace a few days before
- The Sun claim Palace chairman Steve Parish views Nuno as his No 1 target
- Palace have also reportedly shortlisted Valerian Ismael and Steve Cooper
Nuno Espirito Santo is Crystal Palace’s first choice to replace Roy Hodgson as boss, according to reports.
The Portuguese shocked the Premier League by leaving Wolves earlier this month after four years at the helm following a rift with the club’s owners over transfers.
The news came just a few days after Hodgson, 73, waved his final goodbyes to the Selhurst Park club after four years in charge and having preserved their top-flight status once more.
Nuno Espirito Santo (left) is Crystal Palace’s first choice to replace Roy Hodgson (right) as boss, according to reports
Nuno left Wolves this month after four years in charge following a rift with the club’s owners
But The Sun claim Nuno’s departure from Molineux put Palace chairman Steve Parish on alert and are reporting they are keen on on offering him an instant comeback to English football.
If the 47-year-old wants an immediate return to the Premier League, Nuno will rise to the top of Palace’s list, the report adds, but the south London side are said to be desperate for a quick response.
Palace have also reportedly shortlisted Barnsley boss Valerian Ismael and Swansea manager Steve Cooper – who saw his side lose the Championship play-off final to Brentford on Saturday – as possible alternatives for the post.
However, Palace are said to have Nuno at the forefront of their plans due to his top-flight experience and the style of play he implemented at Wolves, as well as the fact they will not need to pay a club any kind of compensation.
The Sun report Palace chairman Steve Parish has eyed Nuno as his No 1 target as boss
Compensation issues have held up the south London club’s pursuit of Burnley boss Sean Dyche
That is in stark contrast to Palace’s pursuit of Sean Dyche, with Sportsmail revealing earlier this week that it is being held up by the huge expense of the proposed deal, which, in addition to the £3million in compensation due to Burnley, could end up costing them £7m-a-year in wages and salary.
Palace could therefore offer the Portuguese a good salary and would allow him to bring a large backroom staff due to the coaching vacancies currently at the club.
But Palace are unsure about whether Nuno – who has also been linked with managerial vacancies at Tottenham and Lazio – possesses the hunger to return to the Premier League so soon after leaving.
Having been briefly considered as Jose Mourinho’s full-time successor, he is now said to be on a Lazio shortlist that reportedly also includes Bologna’s Sinisa Mihajlovic, Rafa Benitez, Maurizio Sarri and Vincenzo Italiano.
Barnsley’s Valerian Ismael (left) and Swansea’s Steve Cooper (right) are other candidates
Meanwhile, Sportsmail revealed on Sunday that Bruno Lage will discover this week if he will be granted a work permit to succeed Nuno at Wolves.
The former Benfica boss is the club’s No 1 choice but does not qualify automatically for a permit under new rules following Brexit and has an appeal hearing on Wednesday.
Hodgson on the other hand is reportedly being considered by relegated West Brom to replace departed boss Sam Allardyce.
Bruno Lage will discover this week if he will be granted a work permit to succeed Nuno
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article