Football League chief executive David Baldwin is quitting his role – throwing the EFL into further chaos.
He has informed the league of his desire to depart, and will exit after working his six-month notice period.
It comes little more than 24 hours since the news of 'Project Big Picture' – which could seismically change the Premier League and Football League, was revealed.
In their statement on Monday, the EFL denied that those proposals played any part in Baldwin's decision to exit.
"Today's announcement is not linked to 'Project Big Picture' and the decision was taken prior to details of the proposals being made public over the weekend.
"The EFL will start the recruitment process for Mr Baldwin’s replacement with immediate effect."
However, Accrington Stanley chairman Andy Holt wasted no time in labelling Baldwin's exit as an "amazing coincidence" on social media.
EFL Chair Rick Parry said: “Whilst disappointed, I understand the reasons Dave has outlined and respect his wishes.
"He remains committed to the EFL and will continue to lead the Executive until he leaves us in 2021.”
Baldwin, the former chief executive at Burnley, points towards coronavirus as a major factor for his decision, while questioning changes to the environment within the EFL in recent years.
Baldwin himself said: “Having thoroughly reflected on my own personal circumstances at length in recent weeks, I have now determined it is only appropriate to inform the Board and the membership of the EFL of my intentions at the earliest opportunity.
“Clearly, accepting this position pre COVID-19 means the situation is now very different to the one I originally envisaged coupled with it being a very different environment inside the EFL, when compared to the one I left in 2015/16.
"Taking those two factors into consideration and balancing the needs of my family, health and well-being, I feel the decision to leave is the right one.
“Between now and my departure date there is still plenty of work to be undertaken on behalf of EFL Clubs and I remain committed to finding solutions to the many challenges we currently face.”
Get the latest news straight into your inbox!
It has been a hectic season so far – so make sure you don't miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won't miss out.
To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
Liverpool and Manchester United have sparked civil war by attempting a coup which would give the Big Six clubs more say and greater power while reducing the Premier League to 18 clubs.
EFL chairman Parry is on board to try and secure a £250m bail out as part of the Project Big Picture plan.
*Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.
Source: Read Full Article