Everton vs Newcastle protester said he got heros welcome in jail last year

Everton vs Newcastle's 'Just Stop Oil' protester said he had been "emboldened" by a previous spell behind bars before targeting the Premier League fixture this week.

Engineering student Louis Mckechnie stole the headlines at Goodison Park on Thursday (March 18) by using a cable tie to fasten himself to the goalpost by his neck – causing the game to be delayed for more than six minutes.

With several members of Everton ground staff coming out to assist and huge bolt cutters eventually freeing Mckechnie – an interview he did back in January following a previous stunt which saw him jailed has resurfaced.

Despite admitting that he was terrified of going to prison before he served half of his three month sentence, Mckechnie hinted that his experience of going inside left him less worried about a second stint.

The 21-year-old had been one of Insulate Britain protesters taken to court after causing delays on the M25 throughout the year, and was released on New Year's Day.

He said in an interview with LBC: "I see the only way that these protests will stop is when our demands are met.

Does more need to be done to stop protesters at football matches? Give us your thoughts in the comments section

"When the Government acts on the climate crisis, acts on fuel poverty and stands up for its own people."

He added: "I can't tell you what our next action will be, but I can tell you it will be non-violent."

Following his latest outing, Just Stop Oil wrote on Facebook: "This evening, Louis, a 21-year-old supporter of Just Stop Oil, locked on to the goalpost at Goodison Park wearing a Just Stop Oil T-shirt, causing the referee to briefly stop play."

Following Alex Iwobi's late winner, Merseyside Police said: "We can confirm a man was arrested after encroaching on to the pitch during the Everton v Newcastle United Premier League fixture.

"At around 8.55pm it was reported that a man disrupted the match by running on to the pitch and tying himself to the goal post at the Howard Kendall Gwladys Street End.

"The suspect, a 21-year-old man, has been arrested on suspicion of pitch encroachment and he is now in police custody. The game resumed and has now concluded."

Source: Read Full Article