Ferdinand slams Man United's 'frustrating' approach to transfer window

Rio Ferdinand slams Manchester United’s ‘frustrating’ approach to the transfer window and says it’s causing negativity at the club… and insists he’d rather be in Frank Lampard’s position as he praises Chelsea for getting their £240m spree done early

  • Donny Van de Beek represents Manchester United’s only business this window 
  • Boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been frustrated in his pursuit of Jadon Sancho
  • Meanwhile, Chelsea have brought in the likes of Timo Werner and Kai Havertz
  • And Rio Ferdinand admits he would prefer to be in Frank Lampard’s shoes now

Rio Ferdinand has criticised Manchester United chiefs for the club’s ‘frustrating’ approach to the transfer window, claiming it has caused negativity to build at Old Trafford.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has only managed to recruit Donny Van de Beek from Ajax in a £40million deal this summer, with the club being frustrated in their pursuit of Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho and £18m-rated Porto left-back Alex Telles.

Chelsea meanwhile have spent £240m during the current window on the likes of Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech and Kai Havertz in their bid to try and challenge Liverpool and Manchester City at the top of the Premier League.

Rio Ferdinand has criticised Manchester United chiefs for their approach to transfers

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is facing a race against time to sign players before Monday

And speaking to BT Sport ahead of Chelsea’s match against Crystal Palace, former United defender Ferdinand insisted he would rather been in Blues boss Frank Lampard’s shoes than his Norwegian counterpart’s at United.

‘What position would you rather be in? I’d rather be in Frank’s. He got business done early, got some time in on training pitch and brought in players he wants,’ Ferdinand said.

‘I’d rather be at that end of the spectrum than Man United where you are frustrated and don’t know where you will continue from.

Meanwhile, Frank Lampard and Chelsea have spent £240m on new additions this window

The club have spent heavily on German duo Timo Werner and £89m Kai Havertz (above)

‘The most frustrating thing for United fans is that we have all been aware who their targets were, that’s the frustrating element.’

‘Is Covid playing a part in the financial? At left-back and right wing are where they are looking, the season starts and they haven’t been brought in. 

‘All of a sudden losing to Palace at home ignites the negativity. The club appeared to be on an upward curve, then suddenly no signings and defeat in the first match and it really changes the picture of the club.

‘Champions League would be the target for me personally.’

Meanwhile, £40m Donny Van de Beek represents the only Manchester United incoming so far

Club chief Ed Woodward (above) has come under fire with United struggling to land targets

The comments come after United boss Solskjaer staunchly defended United’s transfer policy despite the lack of transfers and failed pursuit of £108m-rated Dortmund star Sancho.

The Norwegian insisted he had been backed by executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and the club, who have failed to land their top targets so far.

Solskjaer told Sky Sports: ‘When I came in and was given the job, I gave my view on what the team should look like and how to get there. I feel when we had these conversations, the club understood my view.

‘In all honesty, results are always the key here. But the club also see what we are doing with the club, and what we want to do with the club.

United have refused to meet Borussia Dortmund’s £108m valuation of star Jadon Sancho

‘I’m not looking at other clubs in that way – of course I look at them in terms of keeping up with what’s going on – but other clubs have a way of running, we have our way of running our club.

‘And of course, I’m very happy working with the players I’ve got. But also, the part of the job is to improve the squad all the time, and so far I’ve been backed. We are working hard to be competitive again, amongst the best.

‘I think football now is different from what it was six or eight months ago, and these times are very unique. To get deals done you need to monitor a player for a long, long while, and monitor your target, and I feel the process there has been working well.’

The Old Trafford club have also so far failed to get a deal for Porto left-back Alex Telles done

An array of club legends, including Gary Neville, Roy Keane and Patrice Evra, have been among the most vocal critics over United’s nightmare window – and despite negotiations taking place United are still no closer to securing their top targets.

The club are therefore scrambling around looking at other options, with Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele discussed as an alternative to Sancho, but United are only interested in pursuing a loan deal.

Watford winger Ismaila Sarr has been earmarked as another target, although the Championship outfit value him at £45m.

Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele has been touted as a potential alternative to Sancho




Share this article


Source: Read Full Article