Footballer hospitalised with head trauma after horror bus attack by thugs

A footballer for Brazilian side Gremio was rushed to hospital after being struck in the head by a rock thrown by rival hooligans before the game.

Gremio’s team bus was targeted by fans of bitter rivals Internacional as they visited the Beira-Rio stadium ahead of Saturday’s Porto Alegre state championship clash.

Rocks smashed through the bus windows and caused damage to several players, including Colombian ace Jaminton Campaz and Paraguay international Mathias Villasanti.

The horrific attack resulted in the match being postponed, while 25-year-old Villasanti was rushed to hospital with a bandage around his face after suffering from cerebral concussion and cranial trauma.

Gremio detailed how Villasanti was also treated for lacerations to the face and hip trauma.

Footage that emerged after the incident showed Gremio officials holding a huge rock which was apparently used in the attack.

The club confirmed on Sunday that the player was re-evaluated by the medical team at Moinhos de Vento hospital and subsequently discharged.

They said: "He is at home, doing well and will be monitored and followed up by the Gremio Medical Department for the next 24 hours."

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

Meanwhile, Internacional confirmed that two suspects were arrested in light of the assault.

They added that the club would "continue to give full support to the authorities in the investigation of the case".

It follows another recent Brazil attack where Cascavel’s bus was hit by two rocks after a 1-0 loss away to Maringa.

Another incident in the state of Parana saw fans wielding metal bars invade the pitch and attack players, who were forced to retaliate with kicks as the match was called off with four minutes to spare.

Source: Read Full Article