Harry Kane hits back at claims he refused to return to Tottenham training

Harry Kane has confirmed he will return to Tottenham pre-season training tomorrow and admits it has ‘hurt’ hearing his professionalism questioned over the last few days.

The 28-year-old striker was expected to report for duty at Hotspur Way on Monday but did not show, fuelling speculation that he is looking to force through a move to rivals Manchester City.

It’s understood City had a mammoth £100million bid rejected out of hand for Kane and the Premier League champions could return with a follow-up offer before the summer transfer deadline.

Initial reports indicated Tottenham were ‘disappointed’ with Kane’s behaviour and intended to slap Kane with a hefty fine, with the forward’s camp accusing chairman Daniel Levy of going back on a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ to let him leave for a nine-figure fee.

However, it’s subsequently been claimed that Spurs and Levy had been aware of Kane’s plans all along and the England captain moved to clarify the situation in a statement posted to his social media pages Friday evening.

‘It’s almost ten years since I made my Spurs debut. For every one of those years, you – the fans – have shown me total support and love,’ Kane said.

‘That’s why it hurts to read some of the comments that have been made this week, questioning my professionalism.

‘While I won’t go into the specifics of the situation, I want to clarify that I would never, and have never, refused to train. I will be returning to the club tomorrow, as planned.

‘I wouldn’t do anything to jeopardise the relationship I have with the fans who have given me such unwavering support during my time with the club. This has always been the case as it is today. Harry.’

Erik Lamela, who left Spurs to join Jose Mourinho’s Roma this summer, showed his support as he responded to Kane’s Instagram post.

‘Whoever knows you knows what kind of professional you are,’ the Argentine replied.

‘Keep your mind as always my friend!’

Speaking to the media earlier today, Pep Guardiola admitted he would be keen on further strengthening his squad by signing Harry Kane following Jack Grealish’s British record transfer move.

But the Spaniard played down City’s chances of luring Kane to the Etihad given Tottenham’s reluctance to discuss a potential deal.

‘It’s different from Jack. He had a release clause,’ Guardiola told reporters.

‘Harry Kane is an exceptional, extraordinary striker – of course we are interested.

‘But he is a Tottenham player and if they don’t want to negotiate there is nothing more to say. If they want to, we will try.’

Source: Read Full Article