Harry Redknapp shares his BIGGEST deadline day disaster

Harry Redknapp finally explains THAT transfer deadline day disaster where Peter Odemwingie arrived at QPR’s car park and wasn’t allowed to complete his move from West Brom – with the striker heading to Loftus Road rather than secretly holding up in a hotel

  • Peter Odemwingie bizarrely arrived at QPR on deadline day in January 2013
  • The striker was told to wait secretly at a hotel but ruined the last-minute move
  • Follow all the latest transfer news with Sportsmail’s deadline day live blog 

Harry Redknapp has shared the details of his biggest deadline day disaster, where Peter Odemwingie arrived at QPR’s car park and was subsequently not allowed to complete his transfer from West Brom.

As the London club secretly battled to sign Odemwingie in the dying moments of the window, Redknapp told the striker to stay out of sight in a hotel near the stadium just in case the deal went through in time.

However, while QPR’s team frantically sorted out the transfer against the clock, Odemwingie misunderstood Redknapp’s orders and turned up at Loftus Road instead, welcomed by a glut of cameramen and reporters.

Harry Redknapp has shared what happened with Peter Odemwingie on deadline day in 2013

QPR were stunned when the West Brom striker turned up uninvited at the club on deadline day

Sharing the anecdote, Redknapp told talkSPORT: ‘Probably the biggest disaster was when I was at QPR. We were going to sign the boy Odemwingie. 

‘We couldn’t get the deal done but we felt sure we’d get it.

‘So I said to him: “Look, get down here, if it’s not until nine or 10 we might be able to get the deal done”. We hadn’t even spoken money or wages with him.

The QPR boss told Odemwingie to hold up in a hotel as the club worked on finalising the deal

‘I said: “Drive down to QPR and put yourself in a hotel somewhere so that you’re close by”.

‘He didn’t. He went straight to the football ground, got out the car, and there were cameras and everything. Oh my god, the journos went crazy and that was the end of the deal!’

After making the 125-mile trip from West Brom to QPR in 2013, Odemwingie was refused access by the west London club, who had yet to secure an agreement with the Baggies.

The Nigerian was left waiting around in the car park alongside reporters for the final moments of the deadline and ultimately never completed his move to Redknapp’s side.

Odemwingie finally left West Brom at the end of the campaign, joining Cardiff for a season before teaming up with Stoke the following year.

The Nigerian striker stayed with the Baggies until the end of the season before joining Cardiff

Source: Read Full Article