Henderson and Kane ‘flooded with calls’ from stars worried by coronavirus

Jordan Henderson, Harry Kane and Mark Noble have reportedly been flooded with calls from Premier League stars worried about returning to action amid the coronavirus pandemic.

June 12 is the new target for restarting the season after the 20 Premier League clubs met for their latest video conference on Friday.

The games would be behind closed doors and would most likely be staged at neutral venues.

But Liverpool skipper Henderson, Tottenham captain Kane and their West Ham counterpart Noble have been inundated with calls from players worried over whether it will be safe to return.

That's according to a report from The Sun, which says the three have become figureheads for their fellow pros in the discussions over 'Project Restart'.

The report says PFA bosses have also received a raft of calls and messages from players with similar concerns.

Earlier this week, Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero said players were "scared" to return too soon with the country still in the grip of the Covid-19 pandemic.

And those fears were given further credence when it emerged three Cologne players had tested positive for coronavirus after Bundesliga clubs returned to training.

The Sun reports that a number players believe Project Restart is being rushed for financial reasons, and want complete assurances over their safety before they are prepared to return.

Chelsea keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga has said: “It is absurd to talk about dates. You have to go back when the risk is zero.”

The report adds that several coaches feel the same way but feel unable to voice their opposition publicly.

And players' reluctance to return too soon could prove a huge stumbling block to Premier League plans.

The PFA's deputy chairman Bobby Barnes said: “We are in regular dialogue with players from all leagues and are representing all of their views and concerns during our regular meetings and communications with both PL and EFL.

Source: Read Full Article