Jordan Sinnott killer found guilty of manslaughter after death on night out

A 22-year-old man has been found guilty of manslaughter following the death of a footballer on a night out.

Jordan Sinnott, 25, was killed in Retford, Nottinghamshire, following a confrontation the prosecution said was "driven" by Kai Denovan.

Sinnott, was allegedly provoked in the Vine pub on January 25 by Denovan, who told him he was a "good-looking lad".

Prosecutors described how Denovan then added a "honeytrap" comment, by saying the midfielder would have no trouble "pulling girls" – unlike him, who was "fat and ginger".

Sinnott was attacked after he joined in with the "self-deprecating" humour by replying: "Yes I can see that."

Sinnott and his friends left the pub after Denovan punched him, only to be followed by the trio outside, where Denovan's friend, Cameron Matthews, delivered the fatal blow.

Nottinghamshire Police have released CCTV footage showing the final moments before the professional footballer was fatally attacked.

The footage shows Mr Sinnott and two friends walking to Retford Market Place, being followed denovan, Matthews and another man, Sean Nicholson.

Sinnott, who played for non-league Matlock Town, having previously played for both Huddersfield and Halifax, died in hospital following the attack. He had suffered a fractured skull and brain damage.

Denovan had admitted common assault and affray, but denied manslaughter.

However, on Tuesday a jury at Nottingham Crown Court unanimously convicted him of manslaughter.

Last week, Prosecutor Michael Auty QC told jurors: "Mr Denovan was never interested in apologies, only his own, warped, dangerous version of justice.

“Yes, it was Cameron Matthews that delivered the fatal blow, but who drove the charge? Who started the violence? Who was determined to see it through?

"That was Kai Denovan.

“There was never any threat of violence from Jordan Sinnott or from either of his friends.

“The violence was instigated, perpetuated, and at all times driven by Kai Denovan, from first through to last. He initiated the pursuit of Jordan Sinnott, plainly with violence in mind.

“This was a pack hunting down and exacting retribution.”

Matthews, 21, had already admitted manslaughter. He is awaiting sentencing.

Nicholson, 22, has pleaded guilty to affray.

Denovan, of Collins Walk, Retford, will be sentenced at a later date.

Source: Read Full Article