Jules Kounde’s latest stance on Premier League move as Man Utd and Chelsea eye star

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reviews Manchester City defeat

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Jules Kounde is happy at Sevilla and will not leave the Spanish club in the January transfer window, according to reports. Kounde came close to joining Chelsea in the summer, while Real Madrid and Manchester United have both also been linked with the defender, but a mid-season transfer has been ruled out.

The 23-year-old centre-back is widely considered to be one of the brightest talents in Europe, with a move to the Premier League frequently rumoured.

Chelsea nearly secured his services in the closing stages of the summer transfer window, selling Kurt Zouma to West Ham for £30million to make space for the Frenchman’s arrival.

The Blues offered to pay Sevilla £50m for Kounde and thought they had a deal, only for the Spanish side to stick steadfast to his £68.7m (€80m) release clause.

Trevoh Chalobah has stepped up to the plate since then, but with Andreas Christensen and Antonio Rudiger set to be out of contract on July 1, Chelsea could renew their interest in Kounde, who is under contract until June 2024.

JUST IN: Barcelona interested in three Chelsea stars despite Sterling priority

United’s defensive problems have seen them linked with a possible January move for Kounde, but Marca has ruled out that possibility.

The Spanish outlet says Kounde is ‘happy’ at Sevilla and the club have no intention of cashing in on the France international mid-season.

Sevilla are ‘calm’ about the situation and believe a sale would ‘destroy the team’, who are currently third in La Liga, a point behind leaders Real Sociedad.

That stance follows recent public comments by club president Joan Castro, who has rejected speculation Sevilla need to sell Kounde because of financial problems.

DON’T MISS

Newcastle backed to complete Man Utd deal in first few days of January

Arsenal wonderkid Folarin Balogun puts Mikel Arteta on red alert

How Xavi’s Barcelona could line up with Sterling and Thiago

“To say that the club is broke is ridiculous,” Castro told AS last month.

“Last season we had a surplus, after a season without season tickets, without ticket sales.

“The deficit would have been resolved by selling Kounde and we showed that we are economically powerful and we will not accept €50m.”

Sevilla sporting director Monchi is known for driving a hard bargain and he made clear that they would not part with Kounde for anything less than their asking price.

“Yes, there has been interest from a club that the player liked, which was Chelsea,” Monchi said recently.

“The first formal offer we received was an amount that did not satisfy our requirements and conditional on Chelsea selling a player.

“We responded with a counter-offer that had an expiry date. To the first offer for Kounde, we answered with an idea of our own.

“Everyone looks after their own interests, and the club has respected one hundred per cent when there has been interest from other teams, and the player didn’t think it was convenient.”

Source: Read Full Article