Julien Nagelsmann insists 'there are no talks' with Bayern Munich

Julien Nagelsmann insists ‘there are no talks’ with Bayern Munich after legend Lothar Matthaus claimed RB Leipzig manager would replace Hans Dieter-Flick with the Bayern coach destined to take over from Joachim Low as Germany boss

  • Julien Nagelsmann has played down speculation linking him with Bayern Munich 
  • Lothar Matthaus said that Nagelsmann would take over from Hans Dieter-Flick 
  • Flick will reportedly take the Germany job when Joachim Low leaves the side
  • However, Nagelsmann has insisted there has been no contact with Bayern 

Julien Nagelsmann has quashed speculation linking him to Bayern Munich as the RB Leipzig boss insisted he has had no contact with the German giants despite comments made by Lothar Matthaus. 

Bayern boss Hans Dieter-Flick has been linked with the Germany vacancy with current boss Joachim Low leaving the international side after 15 years at the helm.

Having won the Champions League, Bundesliga and a host of other top prizes with the all-conquering Germans, Flick is the frontrunner to take over and kickstart the underperforming side.

Julien Nagelsmann has played down speculation linking him to the Bayern Munich job

German legend Lothar Matthaus sparked rumours that Nagelsmann would join Bayern Munich

German legend Matthaus told Sky Sports in Germany that he expected Flick to succeed Low after the European Championships this summer before revealing that Nagelsmann is Bayern’s top candidate to take over.

‘I’m convinced that Hansi Flick will not still be Bayern coach next season,’ Matthaus said.  ‘The DFB wants Hansi Flick as a long-term solution and has made him an offer.

‘Bayern, on the other hand, have shown interest in Julian Nagelsmann. The [final] Bundesliga game [of the season] against Augsburg will be Flick’s last match as Bayern coach.’


Matthaus claimed Nagelsmann would replace Hans Dieter-Flick (R) who will replace Joachim Low (L) in the Germany hotseat

However, Nagelsmann has responded to those claims, insisting that he is happy at Leipzig and that he nor his representatives have held talks with the Bundesliga leaders. 

‘There were and are no talks with FC Bayern,’ the 33-year-old said in a press conference on Wednesday. ‘I have no idea where Lothar got this information from. This of course also applies to my agents, there were no talks either.

‘I didn’t speak to the club because there won’t be anything to speak about. I still have a contract with RB until 2023.’ 

However, Nagelsmann says he has three years left at Leipzig and said there have been no talks

Nagelsmann’s latest comments come after he definitively ruled himself out of succeeding Low last month. Asked whether he would consider himself a candidate, Nagelsmann’s response was a quick and sharp: ‘No’. 

The German has impressed since taking the reigns at Leipzig in 2019, having guided them to the semi final of the Champions League last season.

They dumped Manchester United out of the competition this campaign before being eliminated by Liverpool, while they are posing the strongest challenge to leaders Bayern in the Bundesliga.  




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article