Lionel Messi has hit back at reports claiming he bailed out Ronaldinho from jail in Paraguay.
The Barcelona and Brazil legend was arrested on March 6 and held in prison after being accused of possessing false Paraguayan passports and ID cards.
On Tuesday, Ronaldinho was released from jail into house arrest after he and his brother paid $1.6 million (£1.3m) in bail.
Reports had claimed that Messi put forward the cash to help out his former Barcelona teammate.
But the Argentine now claims that is ‘fake news’.
‘What they said in this same newspaper about Newell’s [Old Boys] a few weeks ago was also false,’ Messi posted on social media.
‘Thank goodness that nobody believes them anymore.’
Messi also strongly denied reports suggesting he will leave Barcelona at the end of the season and is planning to join Inter.
Last week, Messi attacked Barcelona’s hierarchy for putting pressure on the players after they agreed to take a 70 per cent wage cut during Spain’s coronavirus crisis.
In a statement on Instagram, Messi said: ‘It does not cease to surprise us that from within the club there were those who tried to put us under the magnifying glass and tried to add pressure to do something that we always knew we would do.
‘In fact, if the agreement has been delayed for a few days it is simply because we were looking for a formula to help the club and also its workers in these difficult times.’
Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Source: Read Full Article