Liverpool ‘will NOT pursue Timo Werner and have withdrawn from talks for Red Bull Leipzig’s star striker… with club not willing to go above £30m given current financial uncertainty’
- Timo Werner has a release clause at Red Bull Leipzig in the £50m region
- But Liverpool now value Werner at nearer to £30m due to the current climate
- As a result, the Reds will reportedly not pursue the 24-year-old this summer
- Werner has previously spoken of his admiration for Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp
- Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19
Liverpool have reportedly withdrawn from talks for Red Bull Leipzig striker Timo Werner, due to a difference in valuation of the player.
The 24-year-old, who has been one of Europe’s leading marksman this season, has a release clause in the £50m region.
However, due to the current financial instability caused by the coronavirus crisis, the Reds now value him at less than £30m in the market and due to the difference in price-range, Jurgen Klopp’s side won’t be pursuing Werner, according to The Mirror.
Liverpool have reportedly withdrawn from talks for Red Bull Leipzig striker Timo Werner
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has held an interest in Werner but will not pursue the German
Statistics in all competitions according to Transfermarkt
The report details that despite Klopp showing interest in working with the Germany international, and vice-versa, the transfer market has been flipped due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its effect on football.
Liverpool do, according to the report, have a good relationship with RB Leipzig, but the difference of £20m plus in their valuations of Werner means a deal will not be reached in the coming months.
On Wednesday night, Leipzig CEO Oliver Mintzlaff said as much: ‘It [Leipzig’s valuation of Werner] won’t get any cheaper. We will not sell a player below value if he is under contract for more than a year.
RB Leipzig CEO Oliver Mintzlaff insists the club won’t sell Werner for anything less than £50m
‘In general, we always ask the question: can we replace a player if we sell him for less than his market value?’
The Reds have held a longstanding interest in the striker, who has scored 30 goals in all competitions this season.
Werner, who recently labelled Klopp ‘the best coach in the world’, can now see out the remaining two years of his contract at the Red Bull Arena, or look for a move elsewhere – though Anfield was said to be his preferred destination.
Werner is an out and out goalscorer and has netted 30 times for RB Leipzig this season
Inter Milan and Barcelona are also keeping an eye on Werner’s situation, though they too know business will be different this summer due to the pause of football and the affect this has had financially on clubs across Europe.
Despite this news, Liverpool remain stocked with attacking talent, with Divock Origi and Xherdan Shaqiri backups to lethal forward trio Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino.
Werner, meanwhile, failed to find the back of the net in Leipzig’s 2-2 draw against Hertha Berlin on Wednesday, after scoring a hat-trick at the weekend against Mainz.
Liverpool’s Mo Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino have been lethal in the past few years
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article