Man City star Aymeric Laporte breaks down in tears as dream destination emerges
Manchester City defender Aymeric Laporte broke down in tears as he sat alone on the Etihad Stadium turf, nearly an hour after his side had lifted the Premier League title. His actions would indicate that the Spain international is contemplating his future at the end of the season when he is expected to pursue a new challenge after five-and-a-half years in Manchester.
Laporte arrived from Athletic Bilbao for £57.2million in January 2018 and has since gone on to win five Premier League titles.
Should City lift the Champions League aloft on June 10 when they face Inter Milan in Istanbul, the 28-year-old will have completed the clean sweep.
Either way, he is expected to push for a transfer this summer having also fallen out of favour this term under Pep Guardiola.
Tottenham are thought to be one potential destination for Laporte while Barcelona have previously shown interest in his signature.
Man Utd takeover takes twist as Glazers consider change to announcement plan[LATEST]
Speaking last month, transfer expert Fabrizio Romano revealed that Barcelona was Laporte’s ‘dream’ destination as he admitted the player’s future was up for debate.
“Keep an eye on Aymeric Laporte with Manchester City,” Romano said. “At the moment, they don’t want to comment because they are totally focused on the possibility of winning the treble.
“The cup, the Champions League and the Premier League, this is why they don’t want any distraction on the transfer market.
“But it’s important to say about Aymeric Laporte that there are some possibilities to leave Manchester City in the summer. He will explore his options because he wants to play as a regular starter.
Mauricio Pochettino told which Chelsea stars to be careful of after ‘moaning'[REACTION]
West Ham fan ‘Knollsy’ faces knighthood calls for saving families from AZ ultras[NEWS]
Wrexham owner Ryan Reynolds receives green light to sign another Prem hero[LATEST]
“This is the idea of the player, his biggest dream would be to try Barcelona. This is the priority for Laporte in the future, but the reality is that Barcelona are going to sign Inigo Martinez in that position and also they are going to save their financial situation for the Leo Messi deal.”
Laporte has featured just 11 times in the Premier League this season for City.
Nathan Ake and John Stones are now comfortably ahead of Laporte in the defensive pecking order at the Etihad Stadium meaning his opportunities will remain limited moving forward.
City will also be open to the idea of refreshing their squad at the end of the season after another barnstorming campaign.
RB Leipzig’s Josko Gvardiol is the subject of interest and City could look to oust Chelsea and Liverpool in the race for the Croatian centre-back.
Gvardiol is likely to cost upwards of £90m after Chelsea failed with a late £75m swoop last September.
Guardiola remains hopeful Ilkay Gundogan will extend his contract at the end of the season.
The German international’s contract expires in June with Barcelona keen to land the City captain on a free transfer.
Source: Read Full Article