Manchester United and Liverpool have been given fresh hope over Jadon Sancho as Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke has admitted there is a limit to how much the Bundesliga side can fight to keep their prized asset.
Sancho was linked with both clubs all summer but neither met the price tag set by Dortmund.
They were demanding £108million for the England international – a price the Premier League duo felt was unrealistic in the current financial climate.
Sancho is known to want a return to the Premier League and many expect him to make a move next summer instead.
United and Liverpool have been given hope a deal could be easier to complete with Watzke admitting they won’t be able to demand huge money.
JUST IN: What Man Utd star Van de Beek said about Martial after defeat
He told Sport Bild: “We could have made a big, valuable transfer in the summer, that’s well known. But we’re glad it didn’t come to this.
“Of course, we will also implement transfers again in the future, because Covid is clearly throwing us back.
“Even the biggest clubs are feeling the effects of the pandemic, be it Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid.
“At some point you come to the limit of what you can answer for. You can even see that in Munich right now with David Alaba as an example.”
Premier League richest owners revealed: Where do your club rank? [FEATURE]
Champion of Champions snooker LIVE results with O’Sullivan in action [LATEST]
Arsenal team news: Expected 4-3-3 for Molde clash – 11 changes [TEAM NEWS]
Sancho has netted twice and provided four assists in his eight appearances this season so far.
The 20-year-old is one of the highest-rated players in Europe with several sides expected to fight for his signature next summer.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made Sancho his top target in the last transfer window but Ed Woodward failed to get a deal over the line.
The Red Devils have had an inconsistent start to the campaign with the manager now under pressure.
United take on Everton in the Premier League on Saturday (12.30pm) with some predicting Solskjaer could be axed if he doesn’t get all three points.
The Norwegian was asked about his future after the dismal 2-1 defeat to Istanbul Basaksehir in the Champions League last night.
Solskjaer said in his post-match press conference: “I decline to comment on this. Of course it’s early on and opinions are out there all the time.
“I’m employed by the club to do a job – and I do that to the best of my ability with our staff.”
Source: Read Full Article