Transfer news: Who could be on the move this summer?
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Borussia Dortmund appear to be gearing up for the possibility of losing Jadon Sancho to Manchester United, with the Bundesliga heavyweights keeping tabs on a trio of alternatives ahead of the summer months, according to reports. The Red Devils have been long-term admirers of Sancho for a number of years and have been tipped to finally land their man before the start of next season.
United tried to sign the England winger last summer but were unable to meet Dortmund’s nine-figure asking price despite their strong interest in the player.
The 21-year-old ultimately stayed in Germany to help his side achieve Champions League qualification with 21 league goals and assists over the course of this season.
He is known to have a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ with Dortmund to leave if the right offer comes in, and it seems as though the German outfit are making plans to cope with his potential departure as the upcoming transfer window rapidly approaches.
Club chiefs have identified no less than three wide players with the ability to fill Sancho’s boots if United manage to push through a move this summer, according to Eurosport.
The report claims that Dortmund have reached out to Chelsea over the availability of Callum Hudson-Odoi, who has struggled to hold down a first-team place since Thomas Tuchel’s arrival.
JUST IN: De Gea’s Man Utd exit could spark domino effect with deal ‘closed’
The Blues are said to be open to letting the 20-year-old leave, either on loan or permanently, but nothing is close to being agreed as of yet.
Meanwhile, Leeds United’s Raphinha is believed to be another option for Dortmund after the Brazilian forward’s impressive campaign in the Premier League.
He arrived at Elland Road from Rennes last summer to the tune of £18million, a move that turned out to be a stroke of genius given his pivotal role in firing the Whites to a top-half finish.
Raphinha has also been linked with Liverpool in recent months, but Leeds will undoubtedly be reluctant to part ways with their star man for anything less than a premium.
The third and final name on Dortmund’s list is said to be that of Jonathan Ikone, with the Lille winger excelling in his role for the newly-crowned Ligue 1 champions.
He featured in all but one of his side’s league games on their way to domestic glory, supposedly gaining plenty of admirers at Signal Iduna Park in the process.
If Dortmund manage to land Hudson-Odoi, Raphinha or Ikone, it would represent a huge boost for United, potentially setting the wheels in motion in advance of a renewed approach for Sancho.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is understood to be targeting the signings of a winger and a central defender as a matter of priority this summer, with the Camberwell native able to provide some additional star quality to the Norwegian’s ranks.
Former United defender Gary Neville recently suggested that the Red Devils could go all out to sign Sancho this summer, claiming that the club’s need for a striker was addressed by Edinson Cavani penning a one-year extension earlier this month.
“I think if you look at the policy over the last couple of years since Ole has come in at Manchester United, I don’t think they will sign another striker,” Neville told Monday Night Football.
“I haven’t got the contacts on the inside that I used to have, so it’s my assumption, because they’ve been desperate for Sancho.
“You look at their recruitment last summer, they didn’t get Sancho and they were criticised for that. I criticised them for that.
“But they could look incredibly smart this year if they get him nearer half the price and they’ve waited 12 months.”
Source: Read Full Article