Atalanta 2-2 Manchester United: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer review
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United face the prospect of losing Paul Pogba for free next summer if they can’t convince the midfielder to put pen-to-paper on a new contract at Old Trafford – and new reports indicate United turned down the chance to sign him to a new deal two years ago. The France international’s current deal expires at the end of the campaign.
The Red Devils have apparently made one formal offer to Pogba, but he rejected that in the hope of acquiring better terms.
A second offer hasn’t been forthcoming and Pogba will be free to talk to overseas clubs from January.
There is clearly a standoff between player and club which has left United in an unenviable situation.
But it has now been revealed by the Daily Mail that Pogba approached club chiefs in 2019 in the hope of signing a new deal.
The enigmatic talent had starred for France as they lifted the World Cup trophy a year earlier and wanted to commit his future to the Red Devils amid a flurry of interest from rival clubs looking to secure his services.
READ MORE: Gareth Southgate gives Man Utd star Jadon Sancho a reality check
United decided against giving Pogba fresh terms and instead triggered a 12-month extension on his existing contract a year later.
And that decision could come back to haunt the club – though it is claimed he remains open to staying at the club having yet to receive an improved contract offer.
Pogba is currently serving a three-match Premier League suspension after being sent off against Liverpool last month as his team were humbled 5-0 at Old Trafford.
The Frenchman did, however, start his side’s 2-2 draw with Atalanta in the Champions League on Tuesday night.
Pogba has racked-up 38 goals and 49 assists in 219 games for United – but his second spell at the club has been plagued by inconsistent form and a string a criticism from pundits.
Man Utd icon Paul Scholes slammed the player following his recent red card and suggested the blockbuster star is ‘holding the club to ransom’ due to his contract impasse.
“He’s caused mayhem over the last couple of years,” hissed Scholes.
“Everybody knows what a talent he is, everybody trusts him, every manager trusts him, tried to give him his head and let him be the player he’s been.
“But with all the commotion, not signing his contract, almost holding the club to ransom, and then he comes on and does something like that [gets sent off].
England squad announced as Gareth Southgate snubs Man Utd pair
Man Utd star Sancho told he won’t play regularly after Solskjaer call
Man Utd ‘hard to turn down’ as Rice is advised on future – EXCLUSIVE
“He’s had numerous chances, he keeps saying he lacks consistency, but that is just [a lack of] discipline and disrespect for your manager and your team-mates, what he’s done.”
Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Juventus have all been linked with a move for Pogba in recent months.
But the player has reportedly told friends he wants to stay at Old Trafford. So it remains to be seen whether he is still a United player next season.
Source: Read Full Article