Manchester United have been warned that David Brooks, who they are looking at as a potential alternative to Jadon Sancho, will cost them £40million this summer. Express Sport understands Leicester City are leading the way for the Bournemouth winger.
Brooks is expected to be the latest player to leave Bournemouth following their relegation to the Championship.
The winger has been linked with a host of clubs – including United and Liverpool – since the Cherries were relegated.
Bournemouth are expected to offload a number of players this summer, including Callum Wilson and Joshua King.
They have already sold Nathan Ake to Manchester City for £40m, and let Aaron Ramsdale return to Sheffield United on Tuesday for an undisclosed fee.
Premier League done deals: Every confirmed transfer in the summer window so far
According to The Sun, they are set to ask for £40m for Brooks, despite the winger missing the majority of last season through injury.
New manager Jason Tindall recently insisted the team won’t be selling any players unless they receive their full asking price, meaning United won’t be able to get a discount.
He said: We have a value for our players and if that value is met then players have got the opportunity to make the decision they feel is right for them.
“But it needs to be right for the club. It’s not a club that will stand in anybody’s way.”
LATEST LIVE SPORT TV DEALS
Get Sky Sports for just £25 per month for 3 months
Get BT Sport for HALF PRICE
United are currently looking for alternatives to Borussia Dortmund winger Sancho, with negotiations continuing to stall between the two clubs.
The Bundesliga runners-up are still demanding £108m up front for the English youngster, but United aren’t willing to meet those demands.
Instead, they’re trying to agree a deal where they’ll pay the same fee but in installments rather than in one lump sum.
Brooks is seen as a cheaper alternative to Sancho, but Bournemouth are still reluctant to let him go for less than their £40m asking price.
However, club legend Andy Cole believes signing an elite winger would be bad news for their current front three.
In particular, he warned that signing Sancho would potentially damage the development of Mason Greenwood, who shone towards the end of the season.
He said: “Mason is scary, absolutely scary.
“If this kid lives up to his potential, United have one on their hands.
“It’s scary and long may it continue. He needs to keep doing what he’s doing, scoring goals and putting pressure on those up front, and as he matures and learns the game even more United have a player who could be anything.
“He can play as a nine and he can play out wide of a three, so it will be interesting to see where United think his best position is and what they see him as.
“For me, the best number nine in the world is Robert Lewandowski. But there aren’t many, if any, Lewandowskis about. And if they do bring in Sancho then you’ve got to be careful as you don’t want to block his (Greenwood’s) progress.
“United do need to bring in players as you must improve every season but it’s a fine balance.
“If you have a player like Mason Greenwood then you can’t afford to block their progress.”
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Source: Read Full Article