Man Utd not meeting Sancho asking price is 'bizarre' says Cross
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Manchester United could launch a bid for Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho as early as today, according to reports. The England international has been in the club’s sights ever since Jose Mourinho’s time in charge. And, after two previous unsuccessful attempts at snapping him up under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, they’re now hopeful of landing their man.
Manchester United know they need fresh faces if they’re to challenge the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea for the biggest and best trophies on offer.
Last week’s Europa League final was a chastening experience, with the Red Devils losing to Villarreal in Gdansk after David De Gea fluffed his lines in the penalty shootout.
And, now, United are primed to act.
The Glazers know they need to win angry fans round, especially after the whole European Super League debacle.
They’ve insisted they’re committed to the cause and ready to back Solskjaer in the hope he’ll be able to end their agonising wait for a first Premier League title since Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement.
And The United Stand claim the Red Devils could launch a bid for Sancho as early as today after a secret meeting took place.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
It’s claimed the club’s PR team recently met with officials at the club on Monday ahead of a potential offer being lodged.
United are supposedly expected to propose a fee of £85million for Sancho, which could be enough to entice Borussia Dortmund into finally selling up.
The 21-year-old is currently training with the England squad ahead of Euro 2020 and is expected to make Gareth Southgate’s 25-man list for the competition.
Sancho came close to moving to United a year ago, only for the club’s failure to pay £108million to see them land Edinson Cavani on a free transfer from PSG instead.
And, now, they could finally land their man.
Sancho isn’t the only player on United’s transfer wishlist, either, with several other names in the frame.
Alex Telles ‘to be used in Man Utd swap deal’
Chelsea may have signed perfect Haaland partner
Lionel Messi’s Barcelona anger explained
A return for Cristiano Ronaldo hasn’t been ruled out, with the Juventus star expected to leave the Allianz Stadium this summer.
The Serie A giants are determined to get him off the wage bill in the wake of the coronavirus crisis and Solskjaer, who played alongside the Portugal international, is open to having him back.
United have interest in West Ham midfielder Declan Rice, with the England international recently helping the Hammers qualify for the Europa League.
At centre-back, Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane and Villarreal’s Pau Torres are both under consideration.
And United would also like to strengthen at right-back, having seen Luke Shaw kick on following the arrival of Alex Telles from Porto a year ago.
Atletico Madrid’s Kieran Trippier is being tracked, while a move for Norwich City’s Max Aarons was previously mooted in the January transfer window.
Speaking after United’s loss to Villarreal, Luke Chadwick urged the club to spend wisely this summer.
“I think it’s imperative that someone comes in early, and a big-name signing as well,” Chadwick told CaughtOffside.
“Obviously there’s a huge disappointment from the fanbase after the defeat last night.
“I know Ole’s won a lot of the fans over, but there’s going to be huge pressure because it’s another trophyless season.
“I think you can appease fans a lot if a Kane, or a Haaland, or a Sancho came in in the next few weeks, just showing that they’re serious about strengthening and doing so quickly.
“It was such a merry-go-round last summer, Sancho was kind of on and off, and then Telles and Cavani came in late doors, so I think it’s important that the planning around the off-season, the recruitment, is all in place and they’re ready to go early.”
Chadwick also acknowledged Liverpool’s speed at signing Ibrahima Konate, adding: “Liverpool’s season’s finished, whereas United only finished last night.
“Obviously Liverpool have moved quickly at the end of their season and now hopefully United can do the same.
“I wouldn’t say I’m massively disappointed, obviously he (Konate) is a talented boy, but I’m sure the planning has gone on at Man United after the criticism of how the last off-season went.
“I was very impressed with Pau Torres. Villarreal were very defensively sound. United have a lot of attacking threats but they didn’t really come to the fore last night, and that was down to the way Villarreal defended as a unit, and individuals.
“He looks a top defender and it will be interesting to see if United do go for him.”
Source: Read Full Article