Arsenal: Arteta provides Partey injury update
The continued absence of Mesut Ozil is dividing the Arsenal dressing room, according to reports. The World Cup winner has been left out of Mikel Arteta’s Premier League and Europa League squads, leaving him as nothing more than a spectator.
Ozil’s omission has also shone a light on the Gunners’ lack of creativity, with Arteta’s side one of the poorest in front of goal.
Arsenal ended a winless run that stretched back to November 1, with the 3-1 victory over Chelsea at the Emirates.
But The Telegraph report that the squad are conflicted about whether Ozil should return in January.
Arteta has hinted that a deicision could still be made next month, with the Spaniard set to update his 25-man for the second half of the season.
JUST IN: Arsenal found new undroppable in Chelsea win to go with Saka, Elneny
“He’s not in the squad right now. I’m focusing just on the players we have here,” Arteta said, ahead of the defeat vs Burnley.
“But, whatever happens in January, we have some time to decide.”
The report claims that the 32-year-old has retained the support of some of the senior members of the playing squad, causing rifts amongst his beleagured squad.
Former interim head coach Freddie Ljungberg was critical of Arteta’s treatment of Ozil, claming he should be played more.
“When you have a player like that – and I don’t say he should play every single week – but when you have possession and you need to find that cute pass, I don’t think there are any better players than Mesut doing that,” he told Sky Sports this month.
Gary Neville makes Robert Pires claim after slamming Tierney decision [NEWS]
Chelsea boss Lampard sent Abramovich sack message after Arsenal loss [LATEST]
Arsenal snipe key PSG staff member after Thomas Tuchel sacked [GOSSIP]
“Of course you lose a bit defensively, but it’s a decision they’ve made. I don’t know why the decision’s been made and he’s outside the 25-man squad, so they can’t use him. But for those things, I don’t think there are many better in the world.”
While Arsenal legend Ian Wright urged decision makers to sell Ozil in the January window, with just six months left on his contract.
He told the Kelly and Wrighty show: “To the people upstairs: give Mesut Ozil the money if you’re not going to play him and move him on. Same with Kolasinac and those players in and around the club and aren’t going to contribute – that’s what he needs, players who are contributing.
“Arsenal have to realise they’re in a situation that can get worse and if they do lose those games against Brighton and West Brom… those games are must-win games.”
Ozil is said to have a number of options for his next move, with clubs from America, Qatar and Turkey all linked.
Fenerbache are believed to have been in contact with the playmaker and could make their interest official when the window re-opens next month.
Murat Zorlu, a Fenerbahce club congress member, said that a move for Ozil was “90 per cent done” last month.
He told Sport Digitale: “A source, who’s very well connected to the club has told me that Mesut Ozil is likely to become a Fenerbahce player during the next transfer window.
“I would say 90 per cent he will join us in one month.”
Source: Read Full Article