Middlesbrough 2-1 Bristol City: Matt Crooks wins it for Boro

Middlesbrough 2-1 Bristol City: Neil Warnock’s side claim first league win of the season thanks to goals from summer signings Uche Ikpeazu and Matt Crooks

  • Middlesbrough forward Uche Ikpeazu fired the home side into a first half lead 
  • Andy King equalised for Bristol City, but Matt Crooks scored the winner for Boro
  • Neil Warnock praised the home fans for their support throughout the game
  • Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson admitted his side were ‘careless’ and ‘sloppy’

Two of Neil Warnock’s summer signings found the net for the first time in a Middlesbrough shirt to make it a memorable afternoon for the old campaigner at the Riverside Stadium.

The 72-year-old didn’t want to leave the pitch after the final whistle, orchestrating cheers from the home fans following the 2-1 win over Nigel Pearson’s Bristol City.

It was the first time Warnock had overseen a Middlesbrough game in front of a crowd at the Riverside despite taking over in June last year.

Middlesbrough forward Uche Ikpeazu celebrates after putting the home side 1-0 up 

Matt Crooks finished from close range to seal the three points for Neil Warnock’s side

Middlesbrough boss Warnock praised the Riverside fans after the 2-1 win over Bristol City 

Middlesbrough (4-3-2-1): Lumley 6; Dijksteel 6, Hall 7, Fry 5; Bola 6; Howson 6, McNair 6, Crooks 8; Spence 6, Jones 8 (Bamba 90); Ikpeazu 7 (Payero 72). Subs: Daniels (gk), Morsy, Peltier, Sivi, Coburn

Bristol City (4-2-3-1): Bentley 7; Vyner 4 (Kalas 79), Baker 6, Atkinson 5, Dasilva 6; King 7, James 6; Weimann 5, Scott 7 (Janneh 74), Palmer 5 (Wells 57, 5); Martin 5. Subs: O’Leary, Simpson, Bakinson, Massengo.

Referee: Oliver Langford 6

Goals from Uche Ikpeazu and Matt Crooks, signed from Wycombe and Rotherham respectively, in the 38th and 70th minutes sealed the points.

Ikpeazu scored when he turned in Isaiah Jones’ low cross, while Ikpeazu’s knock down was turned in by Crooks from close range for the winner.

Warnock said: ‘I was gobsmacked before kick-off when I came out, it was an amazing sight, that is why I am in the game. I have been here I don’t know how many months, and that’s what I have been waiting for. 

‘I went to clap them after the game, they were all over the shop. It was fabulous. Everywhere deserved a clap, they contributed all over the ground.’

Bristol City threatened to leave with a point following Andy King’s header from old Leicester team-mate Matty James on the hour.

Pearson said: ‘We were We had enough possession, opportunities in the game to get something out of it.

‘After fighting to get back into it we conceded a very sloppy second. The first half we were careless, relatively comfortable but our possession wasn’t what I would expect it to be. Back to work.’

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article