Nine signings Newcastle could make as new owners eye Edin Dzeko bid

Transfer tax and supporter vetoes – The highlights of football’s fan-led review

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Newcastle United are in desperate need of new players – and the January transfer window could provide their solace. The Magpies are 19th in the Premier League, with just one win from their opening 18 matches, and are sure to be busy in the upcoming window following their takeover funded by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

It has been some time since the Newcastle takeover went through on October 7, bringing the PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media into the club in place of Mike Ashley.

But while Ashley and former boss Steve Bruce have been ousted, results are yet to improve on the pitch. Eddie Howe may have picked up Newcastle’s first league win of the season, but he needs much more to turn around their season.

With a director of football yet to be found, Newcastle have appointed Nick Hammond as a temporary consultant to help head of recruitment Steve Nickson scour the market for players.

Thanks to PIF, Newcastle are not short of cash, but their league position and looming threat of relegation could make signing new players difficult.

Nevertheless, here are the players who have been linked with a move to St James’ Park recently.

JUST IN: Leeds suffer transfer blow as Raiola speaks out over Bielsa target

Edin Dzeko

The Daily Mail reports that Howe has identified Dzeko as a player who can score the goals to keep Newcastle up.

The 35-year-old has scored 11 goals in 23 appearances in all competitions for Inter since signing from Roma on a free transfer this summer.

The former Manchester City striker is reportedly considered a short-term option to help Callum Wilson up front.

DON’T MISS

Man Utd handed unexpected Haaland issue as Raiola drops transfer hint

Roy Keane picks Man Utd duo he would ask to ‘prove me wrong’ as boss

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp told to sell Naby Keita in January

Aaron Ramsey

Juventus are desperate to offload Ramsey, who has struggled to make an impact since joining the club on a free transfer from Arsenal in 2019.

Despite being under contract until June 2023, Juve are willing to let the Welsh central midfielder leave for free in January, provided they can find a club willing to pay his £230,000 per week wages.

The Sunday Mirror reports that Everton and Newcastle are two clubs looking at the situation.

Kieran Trippier

Atletico Madrid right-back Trippier was chased by Manchester United in the summer, but they ultimately withdrew their interest due to the Spanish club’s asking price.

The Athletic now says that Trippier is of interest to Newcastle, who have shipped a league-high 41 goals in 18 matches so far.

The 31-year-old is keen to move back to England, but Atleti are likely to play hard ball over a transfer.

James Tarkowski

Tarkowski is out of contract with Burnley in the summer and will be free to discuss a transfer with another club in the New Year.

The 29-year-old has reportedly also attracted the attention of West Ham, who are in need of centre-backs after injuries to Kurt Zouma and Angelo Ogbonna.

Nat Phillips

Phillips is one of the players mentioned by The Telegraph as potential signings for Newcastle in January.

The 24-year-old centre-back is struggling for game time at Liverpool and could be allowed to leave the club in January, for the right money.

Phillips fractured his cheekbone in the recent win over AC Milan, so might not be able to step straight into the void for the Magpies.

Ross Barkley

Barkley is another player on the fringes at a Big Six Premier League club who could be made available in January.

With Jesse Lingard happy to stay and fight for his place at Manchester United, according to The Athletic, Barkley could represent a realistic alternative.

He is under contract with Chelsea until June 2023 but hasn’t really made an impact for Thomas Tuchel in 10 appearances this season.

Sven Botman

Another centre-back on Newcastle’s wishlist is Lille star Botman, who has attracted plenty of attention in 2021.

The 21-year-old is seen as an ambitious target for Newcastle, who will likely face plenty of competition for his signature.

Lloyd Kelly

Howe signed Kelly in a £13m deal from Bristol City in 2019, during his spell as Bournemouth manager, so knows the 23-year-old well.

The Daily Mail reported recently that he was one of the names on the team’s shortlist for a defender, but with the Cherries second in the Championship and pushing for promotion it could be a hard sell.

Mohamed Elneny

Newcastle signed Joe Willock from Arsenal in the summer and could return for another Gunners midfielder.

Elneny is out of contract in the summer and will be able to discuss terms with other clubs from January.

Source: Read Full Article