Ole Gunnar Solskjaer accused of ‘killing’ Man Utd duo and wasting £112m on transfers

Man U manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer speaks ahead of Man City match

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been slammed by former Tottenham midfielder Jamie O’Hara for ‘killing’ Jadon Sancho and Donny van de Beek, with both players failing to live up to expectations under his guidance at Old Trafford. United parted ways with around £77million to land Sancho from Borussia Dortmund over the summer, while Van de Beek was signed from Ajax for a fee in the region of £35m last year.

The pair arrived to considerable fanfare after establishing themselves as two of Europe’s finest operators in their respective positions.

Sancho racked up 16 goals and 20 assists for Dortmund in all competitions last season, but has struggled to assert himself as a regular starter for United in the months since joining the Red Devils.

He is yet to provide a single goal contribution despite making 12 appearances for the club and was named on the bench once again for Saturday’s clash with Manchester City.

Meanwhile, Van de Beek played a crucial role in helping Ajax to the Champions League semi-finals in 2019 and kept his place in the side the following season.

The Dutchman’s strong performances in midfield earned him a move to United last summer, but he has only started four Premier League matches since making the switch to England.

JUST IN: Gary Neville names four clubs he would have joined if he quit Man Utd

O’Hara believes that Solskjaer is to blame for the aforementioned pair’s struggles, telling talkSPORT that he is effectively ruining their careers by allowing their developments to stall.

“We’ve talked about this season and not having any excuses,” said O’Hara.

“Even Solskjaer came out and said: ‘No more excuses, we’ve got the team, we’ve got Ronaldo, we’re there’.

“They’ve spent £70m on Sancho and the minute he plays for Solskjaer, he gets binned out the England squad! The guy is killing players.

“Van de Beek was a Ballon d’Or nominee and now he can’t even get a game! That just goes under the radar.

“If that was Jose Mourinho, people would be knocking on his door saying: ‘What are you doing to this player?’

“Sancho is out of the England squad because of Solskjaer and it’s not good enough.”

It remains to be seen whether Van de Beek and Sancho will be able to work themselves into regular contention at United over the course of the current season.

The former, however, could have his heart set on a January exit after changing his agent with a view to sealing a move elsewhere.

FOLLOW OUR NEW DAILY EXPRESS SPORT INSTAGRAM PAGE

Solskjaer singled out both players for special praise after the Champions League group stage victory over Atalanta in midweek, with their respective introductions helping the Red Devils to snatch a late win on away turf.

“I thought the qualities they have could make an impact,” explained the United boss after the full-time whistle.

“Jadon was sharp. We wanted a little bit more width on the side, because we put Edinson [Cavani] on.

“Bruno [Fernandes] played well and you want him out there, but I felt we needed a little bit more width to get the crosses in for Edinson or Cristiano [Ronaldo].

“Donny provided the run for the last goal and he keeps working. He’s got qualities in there to unlock close defences and he almost scored as well.”

Source: Read Full Article