Premier League chiefs are making a fresh offer to the EFL.
Their existing £50m bail out offer remains on the table but the latest plan would also include additional rescue help for Championship clubs amid the coronavirus pandemic and an impending second national lockdown.
There has been frustration from both sides as the Premier League have felt the EFL have been reluctant to engage, especially since a stand-off with chairman Rick Parry because of his Project Big Picture proposals.
But EFL clubs have also voiced their annoyance about a lack of support from the Premier League and the Government as the £50m offer was made up of £20m cash and £30m in loans.
Get the latest news straight into your inbox!
It has been a hectic season so far – so make sure you don't miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won't miss out.
To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
Clubs voted overwhelmingly to reject the Premier League’s offer despite the Government urging football to sort itself out and come to an agreement and it would seem any new offer will be rejected unless there is a dramatic increase.
Premier League bosses have made it clear that they are ready to talk to any EFL club – Championship or League One and Two – facing immediate financial disaster. It is understood the new terms were offered some days ago but there has yet to be an official response.
The Premier League will hold a shareholders meeting for all 20 clubs on Thursday with pay-per-view set to be a key talking point and whether they should scrap it, reduce the price or carry on.
Government chiefs may even want football to revert back to showing every game as what happened with Project Restart in the summer.
But the clubs would be opposed to that as discussions now continue with the Premier League and throughout the EFL about another impending financial setback as a new lockdown will only further delay the prospect of fans returning.
That is a huge setback in financial terms while the Football Association have at least been told this weekend’s FA Cup first round can go ahead.
All 40 ties, including those involving non-elite teams, can go ahead as planned with ten non-elite teams left in the competition having been told they can play under elite protocols.
The BBC is showing 13 of the FA Cup first-round ties, with FC United of Manchester v Doncaster on BBC Two on Saturday while BT Sport are showing Harrogate Town against non-league Skelmersdale United.
Source: Read Full Article